We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live from ABR

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Live from ABR

We're at the newly renovated ABR until March 6 so ask any questions.

We're really impressed with the renovations. There's a couple more things to finish (e.g., elevators and what looks to be one last penthouse in building #1) but we don't hear any construction. We're in building #4 on the 3rd floor which is really quiet and has a great view of the ocean (not that we spend much time in the room). We heard that construction at the new Secrets will be going until the end of this year so you may notice the noise if you're in building #1 but we haven't noticed it from the beach or anywhere else.

Our only complaint is the "towel game". We've never seen it this bad at a resort and we've been to many on the Riviera Maya. Maybe it just because the resort is small, which we love, but there a lot of inconsiderate guests who think they own the loungers. People in front of us just showed up since saving their chairs for at least 4 hours!!! All I can say is don't be afraid to take "empty" loungers since so far it's the only way to get a spot at the main beach after 8:30am.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
46,139 posts
1. Re: Live from ABR

Thanks Kobi

Any update on the Spa, Gym and kids club?

Are the alacartes still 1st come / 1st serve

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Live from ABR

I just emailed the resort about the "Towel Games" and they said they remove items and towels after 45mins. I guess this isn't happening? Do you see a lot of people lying the sand then with no loungers? Is the beach crowded? Even if you can't get a lounger, is there much shade from palm trees?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Live from ABR

Just checked with the front desk and they said the spa and gym will be another month. The kids club is up and running. As for the a la cartes, yes they are first come first serve.

Mansfield, Ohio...
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Live from ABR

Our family will be arriving Sat (1 week from today). We are bringing our two boys age 12 & 14, much going on to keep them entertained other than snorkeling? Any mention of any type of beach/pool party during the week at all?

Thanks for taking time out of your vacation to help others, hope you have an amazing time. :)

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
46,139 posts
5. Re: Live from ABR

I have a copy of the kids entertainment schedule

Send me a pm with your email address

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Live from ABR

We will be there starting March 10 and have 10 and 14 year old boys with us. Does the couch in the room make into a bed at all? I'm also interested in what those who are unable to find an open lounger are doing. I am renting 2 chairs and umbrella from our transfer company for "just in case" purposes so we have something to sit on.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Live from ABR

We definitely didn't see staff removing towels/items even though about 1/2 the loungers aren't being used at any time. I hope they start doing it soon!

We haven't seen anyone lying in the sand.

We are always able to find a couple of empty loungers and drag them closer together but if you're looking for more than two it's going to be hard.

Closer to building 3 and 4 doesn't seem to be as bad but that doesn't seem to be the prime beach area.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Live from ABR

Thank you so much for your "live report"! We arrive March 14. We are going to go with an open mind and I am sure it will be great. Enjoy the rest of your week! Keep us posted with updates!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
24 reviews
9. Re: Live from ABR

We are here now also, and the chair saving at the beach is really out of control. Staff do not remove the towels, and since we are up early and down on the beach, we've also witnessed empty chairs having towels on them for hours and you'll see people come down for a little while and then disappear again for hours. Even with two days of intermittent rain in the morning, people would take off, leave their towels and sometimes never return. Also witnessed two confrontations over supposedly saved chairs. A couple days ago they did put out signs saying only one towel per person, but people are ignoring that. There appears to be enough chairs on the beach so I reallly cannot explain it.

They've just added 7 Bali beds in front of building 1. None in front of us, but I think they must be blocking the view from the rooms on the ground floor on the right side of this building. IMO, I think it's too much clutter now.

OP, I hope you don't mind my adding to this thread, I didn't want to start a "live from" because wifi seemed very spotty from our building at the beginning of our stay.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: Live from ABR

The couch in our room doesn't pullout but you could sleep 1 person on it.

Haven't seen anyone lying in the sand so I guess everyone ends up finding a lounger somewhere just not in the prime spots.