We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it easy to find a palapa on Bahia Sian ka'an beach

Boisbriand, Canada
Level Contributor
376 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
is it easy to find a palapa on Bahia Sian ka'an beach

At what time in the morning do you have to reserve your palapa to be sure to have one on the beach of the Gran Bahia Princie Sian Ka'an.

Thank you for your answers.

Mentioned in this post
The Sian Ka'an at Grand Tulum
The Sian Ka'an at Grand...
127 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Northampton
Level Contributor
447 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is it easy to find a palapa on Bahia Sian ka'an beach

Hiya

There isn't a beach at the Sian Ka an resort, you will need to go over to the GBP resort for the beach. There are usually plenty to be found there.

Happy holidays!

Mentioned in this post
127 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Boisbriand, Canada
Level Contributor
376 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is it easy to find a palapa on Bahia Sian ka'an beach

I went to Akumal in 2006 but I read that the Sian ka'an as a private section on the beach so my question is, on that private section, is it easy to find a spot under a palapa at a resonable hour in the morning.

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
127 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Bloomfield, New York
Level Contributor
304 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is it easy to find a palapa on Bahia Sian ka'an beach

there is a Sian Ka'an beach for S.K. guests. i do not know the answer to your question though.

Mentioned in this post
127 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
45,085 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: is it easy to find a palapa on Bahia Sian ka'an beach

If you look under the Tips from RobS56 in Top Questions

If you get hungry, I understand you must exit this private beach and walk among the common folk for snack bars/buffet at Tulum :-)

An excerpt

Sian Kaan Beach

- the Sian Kaan Beach runs from the Dive Shop on the south, along the east side of the dolphin area, and ends at the Gran Tortuga restaurant

- the Sian Kaan portion of the beach is unique in that the palapas there are reserved exclusively for Sian Kaan guests. That being said, I didn't see anyone actively checking (but then again there was lots of room when we were there). There are fences at either end that go part way down to the water to help define this area.

- there is an exclusive beach bar. It is much like any other except that there are a few tables, and they serve beer in cans (this may just be temporary).

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
127 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
La Tortuga Hotel & Spa
La Tortuga Hotel & Spa
2,484 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
965 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is it easy to find a palapa on Bahia Sian ka'an beach

The Sian Ka'an has gotten a lot busier since I was there. I've seen some people report that the palapas never fill up, and some people saying that they do. I'm hoping that someone with more recent experience can tell us their experience.

Mentioned in this post
127 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Northampton
Level Contributor
447 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is it easy to find a palapa on Bahia Sian ka'an beach

I stand corrected, I was unaware of this. Apologies x

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
45,085 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: is it easy to find a palapa on Bahia Sian ka'an beach

I stand corrected, I was unaware of this. Apologies x

No apologies needed - Sian Kaan is not on the beach as you mentioned - it is across the highway so newbies need to know this

Best to read recent trip reports on how this segregated beach section is patrolled / available - I have not seen many posts on this subject other than no food at this time

Mentioned in this post
127 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,769 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is it easy to find a palapa on Bahia Sian ka'an beach

If you wanted to pop out of your room and reserve your specific chair in the Sian Kaan beach area from your room , how long would this take on foot , each way ?

Mentioned in this post
127 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is it easy to find a palapa on Bahia Sian ka'an beach

The tram to the beach takes 5 mins. Walking would be a good 20mins.

We never had an issue finding a chair/palapa, but if you want one right in front of the ocean then that was tough. We could always find one further back. People come and go, so we always got what we wanted within the first hour.

The Sian Kaan has its own private area on the beach....and they do enforce it to other guests trying to get seats or drinks at the bar. I saw Carlos shoo away many guests from the other resorts.

Mentioned in this post
127 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is it easy to find a palapa on Bahia Sian ka'an beach

There are two rows of palapas ( I think).

We always arrived around 9:30AM and never got one of the first row palapas. I imagine people come down early then take the tram back to the SK for breakfast. But we had no problems getting the second row. However by 10 or 10:30 for sure, the second row are gone. There might have been some palapas further back - above the short stone retailing wall near the bar....I know there are definately lounges there, not sure about the palapas though.

Great beach, wonderfully comfortable lounge chairs and fantastic drink service!!!!

Definately worth taking the tram back up to the SK buffet for lunch. We didn't discover this until the last couple days of our trip unfortunately but the food is far superior back up at the SK than anywhere else you can eat.