We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Bahia (which one?)

Pennsylvania
8 posts
Save Topic
Gran Bahia (which one?)

I am planning a late March trip for my family. Two adults, two teens and one child. I think I have it narrowed down to Gran Bahia. We have been to Mexico twice before and stayed at the Barcelo Palace which we enjoyed but we want to try something new this time.

We like good food, some activities, and snorkeling. Husband is excited about the possibily of golfing while we are there.

My question is which resort to pick? I have looked for maps that show the entire 3 resort complex but I can't find one. Can anyone help? Which of these resorts is closest to the water? Is one more centrally located than the others? On site snorkeliing would be a plus.

Thanks!

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,663 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Bahia (which one?)

See the Top Questions on the right of the screen. You will find lots of info including maps there. Tulum is on the right (north) and is spread along the beach. Beach looks nice but the swimming there is not the greatest.

Akumal is at the south end, and in my opinion has the better beach, and some snorkeling. Coba is between Akumal and the highway in the top left.

You may be happiest in Akumal. The Golden section includes villas 61-71.

EVERYWHERE
Level Contributor
527 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Bahia (which one?)

consider going with whatever one is cheaper as you can use all three....

Or consider the Coba for a family, the suites may be bigger/better for your use.

Or Consider akumal as you would be close to the beach

Or consider....lol....

good luck in your decision making...we were gunna drive ourselves nuts trying to decide and Ultimetly went w/ the Tulum...it was cheapest at the time. We'll be there soon. We'll see if we made the right choice :)

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,373 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gran Bahia (which one?)

I think they're all great. If you're trying to stay on a budget or you think you'll spend a lot of time at the pool (other than a little bit of snorkeling), go with the Coba. It's great for kids, it has the zero-entry quiet pool and older kids seem to like the activity pool also. The kid's club also seems to be a bit more "fun" for kids, if you're thinking of utilizing it at all. If you'll be spending a lot of time at the beach, then consider the Tulum or Akumal. You'll want a jr. suite either way - in Tulum the jr. suites are nicely located up near the lobby area, between the two pools. The Tulum section has a really fun beach, some waves in the area without the sand whale breakers. If the child you're traveling with is really small, you might want to take him/her down to the Akumal section. It's in a very calm cove-type of setting. There's a second, smaller beach area in the Akumal section down closer to the Club Gold area that's usually not as busy - that might be a good choice, also.

Hard to choose, isn't it? :o)

Edited: 19 November 2010, 09:37
Guelph
Level Contributor
60 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gran Bahia (which one?)

Janecel

We have been to the GBPC on three occasions now and we are actually heading back for Christmas. Each time we return to the resort we are greeted with hospitality second to none. They roll out the red carpet and provide so many little extras for return guests. We prefer the Coba as it is the newest of the three. That being said we have not stayed at Tulum or Akumal, so my opinion is somewhat biast. But when you have a sure thing, why risk the unknown. We have teenage girls and will be staying in building #31 facing the pool. All the rooms in the Coba are Jr. Suites and are very nice. Building #31 is a perfect location for all ammenities. It is relatively close to the activity pool, but far enough away as to not be overwhelmed by the activities. We also stayed in #26 and found it very quiet. I actually have a map of the entire resort and if you contact me, I will provide you with a copy.

Hope you enjoy your trip. By the way the golf course is spectacular. Robert Trent Jones Jr. design. $65.00 cart fee, however you are provided with great service throughout your round. The executive 9 hole course is also quite nice. Take lots of golf balls cause they are $15 for 3 if you dont have any.

Hope this helps

Edited: 20 November 2010, 00:39
Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
150 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gran Bahia (which one?)

We will be there also in late March 26th to april 2nd, 2nd time and we stayed and are staying again in the Coba section very nice rooms

check this out for a map and there is also a beach web cam at this site

for Akumal Beach just a few minutes north of BHP, best snorkeling

locogringo.com/akumal/bahia_principe_resort_…

6. Re: Gran Bahia (which one?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2011, 14:17