We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pesos and/or US dollars?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Pesos and/or US dollars?

My husband and I will be travelling to GBP Tulum Dec.25-Jan1.

Should we bring Pesos with us as well as US Dollars?

We plan to pay for our excursions through the resort with US $$ or on our credit card.

But I am wondering when shopping at Playa Del Carmen, tipping, craft markets, etc. Is it better to have Pesos with us?

Thanks

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,880 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pesos and/or US dollars?

If you're from Canada, bring pesos - it is their local currency

See the posts I put over in Top Questions

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pesos and/or US dollars?

pesos best but usd works especially if you have them laying around.

Edited: 18 November 2010, 02:23
Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
203 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pesos and/or US dollars?

I was there in November, everything was priced in US $. When I asked a few merchants how much in pesos they tried to charge more. I found that everyone was looking to be paid in US if you were using cash. Pesos were good when we went off the beaten path, but touristy places were all US $

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pesos and/or US dollars?

We used to try to pay/tip in Pesos. But we found it such a hassle to get 10 peso coins or 20 peso notes that we have given up. Now we just load up on U.S. singles which we use for everything.

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pesos and/or US dollars?

If you find things priced in $US, this is a sure sign you are shopping at a tourist trap. The price is negotiable on most things. If you think the price in $US is fair, then multiply by 10 and offer that in pesos.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Pesos and/or US dollars?

I'm with alterry, we did the mix of pesos and US a few weeks back. In the end, we'd wished we only had US money.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pesos and/or US dollars?

I usually take down about $100 US one dollar bills for tipping and collectivos, and pesos in larger denominations for purchasing stuff at the Hacienda or Playa Del Carmen. I agree it is a pain trying to find 20 peso bills.

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pesos and/or US dollars?

And to provide another viewpoint, I have had no problem getting sufficient pesos in small denominations for tips. I have no use for $US, so they are the last thing I want to be stuck with. The 500 pesos I have left over from last year will get me through the first day or so, until I can get some more.

It has never made any sense to me to visit one foreign country, and take currency from a different foreign country to use in the other one. Yes, you can do it, but it will cost you.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pesos and/or US dollars?

Thanks to all :)

Digby, Canada
Level Contributor
524 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pesos and/or US dollars?

We just returned from BP Tulum. We had exchanged some money here in Canada for some pesos. We did not leave the resort area and only did a little shopping. We wished we had only taken US money. We found the peso conversion confusing and felt we were getting ripped off by paying in pesos since every store we went in was priced in US dollars. I'm sure it depends where you are doing your shopping. We do not do much at all, so in our case, we felt it would have been much better to just have US since we usually have some of that on hand anyway. I'm sure if you're actually shopping away from the more tourist areas, the peso is probably better.....