We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corporate Groups At Secrets Akumal/Unico

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
609 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Corporate Groups At Secrets Akumal/Unico

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has had the pleasure of being on a long awaited vacation to be surrounded by horrible loud stupid people part of a corporate group? I'm debating between Secrets Akumal and Unico and wonder which one is worst? I'm hearing lots of negatives about Unico which is a shame because I was looking forward to experiencing this brand. Has anyone had this experience at Secrets Akumal? Your thoughts would be appreciated

10 replies to this topic
Owensboro, Kentucky
Level Contributor
217 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corporate Groups At Secrets Akumal/Unico

Not Akumal but Secrets PM. They had a corporate outing when we stayed 2 years ago and shut down the pool area at night and 2 of the restaurants. The people were loud and rude and their outdoor partying lasted until dawn.

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
6,358 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corporate Groups At Secrets Akumal/Unico

We were at Unico in January and there was a large group there and one coming on the day of departure. I guess we were lucky. The group that was there during our stay was in meetings all day, and overall seemed mature and well behaved...lol They did have a function set up each night by the pool. The day we were leaving, an outside entertainment group was coming in to set up some sort of obstacle course type event in an area by the pool. I did make my dinner reservations before I arrived, so there were no issues there.

I liked everything about Unico but the beach. I'm a beach person, and the beach is very rocky. I knew this before booking, but we caught a sale. There is no doubt Unico targets groups. I was talking to some people from my old company, and they were there on a group trip in Feb.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
609 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corporate Groups At Secrets Akumal/Unico

Wow, I'd love to work for these companies that provide these meetings at these destinations....must be nice

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
6,358 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Corporate Groups At Secrets Akumal/Unico

Its a great perk. My company offered it as a sales prize for top sales producers. Went for about 10 years straight before I retired. The Riviera Maya was always a top choice. Some of these groups spend the majority of their time working, our company, not so much...lol

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
5,046 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Corporate Groups At Secrets Akumal/Unico

cebakes might think it's funny that a corporate group might not spend much time working but for those of us who spend a long time working and saving hard to go to a Secrets resort , having to share with a corporate group is a pain inn the backside

We had a group who had reserved half of the restaurant and we had "the pleasure" of having to listen to some guy making his long winded speech, "jokes" and thanks to his co workers. In the day time some were obviously not used to alcohol and I would loved to have filmed them and sent a copy to their Chairman of the board

But the good news they had exceeded their sales target for selling cars.

Before booking you could ask if there is likely to be any groups at your resort

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
6,358 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Corporate Groups At Secrets Akumal/Unico

Ashtonian, we were always well behaved and many times went off and did our own thing. You'd find many of us at the quiet pools. People would be hard pressed to identify us as a group, except on the one night we would meet as a group for dinner.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
5,046 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Corporate Groups At Secrets Akumal/Unico

cebakes,

you no doubt were but unfortunately others according to reviews are not.

Also a party of eight cannot get a restaurant table together but corporate groups sometimes have the whole restaurant to themselves

I was at SMB and it would put me off going again but it does not really matter as I am unlikely to be able to afford to go again before my birthday, number 100

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
819 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Corporate Groups At Secrets Akumal/Unico

There were several corporate groups, I believe, on our first stay at Secrets Akumal. I say I believe, because we saw they were set up near the lobby, but it really didn’t affect us, at all. There was a small group of about 8-10 friends on our second visit who were annoying as hell, so we moved away from them. Luckily they left on our third day or so. A friend and I are going to UNICO in August, we emailed and asked if there would be corporate groups during our stay. We were informed there would be two small groups. At least they were honest! So, we’ll see if it affects anything when we go. We aren’t too worried about it.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
609 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Corporate Groups At Secrets Akumal/Unico

We can only dream of having groups there that are in meetings all day and don't disrupt any of the pools and restaurants. We don't always get lucky and have a group such as yours cebakes which are well mannered and behaved. It's actually the complete opposite all the time.

It's sad when you wait all year and spend so much money to go on your holiday to have it ruined by these groups who are on a bonus trip and act like spring breakers.

Unfortunately this is how it is now. Never going to stop these groups because it's business. However, perhaps resorts can have a better separation of groups and individual clients. Resorts are large enough these days where they can have a separate pool. Was at Grand Velas years ago and had this problem and just walking the grounds they have more than enough land to build a pool for conventions and have them dine in a in a convention room instead of closing down or taking over an entire restaurant. It's certainly is not fair for people there just trying to relax.

Another idea if the groups is so large let them buy out the entire resort for those days. That will help us decide when to book and not get a nasty surprise 2 days in........

Penetang
Level Contributor
295 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Corporate Groups At Secrets Akumal/Unico

Large , Name Brand Hotels will give you what you DONT want ~ Lots' of EGO ~ . Go for Specialty FOOD and Service like Royal Hideaway in Playacar

Reply to: Corporate Groups At Secrets Akumal/Unico
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted