We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you recommend some boat excursions?

Derrinturn...
Level Contributor
22 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Can you recommend some boat excursions?

Hi,

We are going to GBP Akumal next March and are trying to plan some excursions. There are just 2 of us adults so more adults orientated excursion would be best.

We went on a boat trip this year in the Dom Rep where it was just a small group of about 15, all drinks were included as was lunch. We stopped for snorkeling, on an island for a quick visit and at a natural lagoon on the way back. It was the best trip we ever did!!

Is there anything similar in Akumal where it is just a small group? Catamaran trips etc.? Any other must do excursions?

Thanks in advance.

8 replies to this topic
North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,476 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you recommend some boat excursions?

We haven’t taken either of these yet but they are recommended by others, we plant to take the H2O excursion when down

https:/…

http://www.localquickies.com/#welcome

Southern California
Level Contributor
14,060 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you recommend some boat excursions?

The only sailing trip in Akumal that I know of is the Kantaris catamaran offered by the Akumal Dive Shop but they used to have a six person minimum so you would have to find some others to join you.

http://akumaldiveshop.com/sailing-adventure/

Otherwise your second best bet would be a trip out of Puerto Aventuras where they have a marina as suggested by Bluewater. Some friends went on Captain Quickie's boat and loved it.

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
139 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you recommend some boat excursions?

A boat to the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve is well worth the time and money. The tour includes reef snorkeling, bird watching, wild dolphin observation, swimming and lunch. The reserve is a huge protected area that is home to a variety of ecosystems and loads of endemic fauna. Definitely a good option if you are looking for a small group experience. Make sure that you choose a relaible operator by doing your homework online. Also a must-see activity is a visit to one of the spectacular underground rivers of the region. Tours to these usually include easy walking and swimming through incredible caverns filled with thopusands of stalagtites and stalacmites. They are truly beautiful natursal attractions.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,159 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you recommend some boat excursions?

A few also noted over in top questions including catamarans and the Sian Kaan trip

From the Akumal Destination Experts

Fishing / Catamarans / Whale Sharks / Sian Kaan trips

renting boats / fishing - who

Fishing out of Akumal

renting a panga / where to eat your catch ... (more)

Catamarans

Closest is Akumal / more in Puerto Adventuras ... (more)

Whale Share tours

Only available from mid May to Mid Sept and you boat departs north of Cancun or Isla Mujeres ... (more)

Fly / bone fishing

You can fish from shore but not near any public swimming beach (300+ yards away) - try these places ... (more)

Visit a World Unesco site called Sian Kaan

a 1.3 million acre nature reserve just south of Tulum ... (more)

Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
124 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you recommend some boat excursions?

Robinson Crusoe, I have done it twice, 100 bucks for I think 4-5 hours, they take you to a bay south of Akumal to snorkel, not much to see in the bay, but they fix you a shore lunch that is great, and all the cervesa you can drink, and you also get to fish going to the bay, have never caught anything but it is very fun and the crew is great, I will be going again in Feb.can't wait.

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
365 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you recommend some boat excursions?

The Robinson Crusoe trip is great, but note that they can no longer use the bay area at Chemuyil. They will take you to Yal Ku and prepare lunch on the boat. We really loved going to Chemuyil but I asked the dive shop about it last week when I read that the bay was closed to tourists now. I'm sure it's still a great half-day trip, just a bit different now.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,159 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you recommend some boat excursions?

Thx Sherry

Rumour has it that the land was sold - perhaps to a resort - SAD

Portsmouth, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen, Akumal
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you recommend some boat excursions?

Catamaya.com

Reply to: Can you recommend some boat excursions?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted