We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to Decide if we need a car Akumal HMB

6 posts
Save Topic
Trying to Decide if we need a car Akumal HMB

Staying in Halfmoon Bay near Del Sol in a Condo

3 people total, I have driven in many countries such as Honduras, Costa Rica and Mexico 2x Cozumel for 2 weeks and Playa for a few days and I feel comfortable with driving but I am questioning the value of having a rental with the activities we are planning.

14 days 13 nights

3 Days Cenote Diving (dive op will pick us up at condo)

1 day at a cenote probably dos ojos with non diving father in law (Taxi or colectivo?)

1 day Chichen Itza (we will be taking a tour I do not want to drive that far)

1 day Tulum Ruins / Tulum (Colectivo or taxi?)

1 day Coba (rent car or taxi for day... we rented a car and drove from Playa last time)

1 day Ya Kul lagoon (walk or bike it is not that far)

1 day Sac Actun cavern / river tour or rio secreto (Taxi

and a few days chilling around Akumal snorkeling in HMB

Other than a few days our activities are reasonably close to Akumal or transportation is provided, I almost feel like I would be better off getting airport transfers, renting bikes to get around Akumal, renting a car for 1 or two days and taking a colectivo or taxi for the other days.

Looking at round trip transfers it is about $160 with stop at Grocery store on the way down for the 3 of us so we could stock up on food and refill as necessary from the local stores or while in Tulum.

Is it reasonable / possible to rent a car in Akumal for a day to take it to Coba? If so how much would you guess with full insurance for a small car.

How much would it cost to take a taxi to Tulum and back?

How much would it cost to take a taxi to Dos Ojos and back?

FYI I already reserved a car for the trip but have been going back and forth if it is necessary or not.

Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to Decide if we need a car Akumal HMB

We always get a transfer and stop for groceries. Rent a golf cart to get to all the restraints and other activities inside the arch. Then take a collective or taxi when going out of town.

I feel like the golf cart makes the experience better. I drive a lot of people that look miserable and exhausted. Parking a rental looks to more and more of a hassle.

I do like the rent a car for one day to go to Cuba. I'm going to see what everyone has to say about that.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
833 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to Decide if we need a car Akumal HMB

We've been going to Akumal for many years, and always rent a car. It's so nice to be able to go where you want, explore other beaches, cenotes, etc. We pickup the car at the airport and drive down to Akumal. Typical rental fees with all insurances from places like Avant or Easyway will run about $40-50 a day for a small car. I wouldn't think you need the car for the whole 14 days however.

6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to Decide if we need a car Akumal HMB

Avant for a small car was $940 for 13 days $72.00 per day.

America car rental was slightly less but not by much.

Guessing it is due to it being over the holidays.

The expense is not really the reason, normally we get a car everywhere we go and drive all over the place but it sounds peaceful to not deal with driving and just relax instead since it will 100% be on me to drive.

I would happily pay the same amount as the rental or slightly more to go the same places and not have to drive.

Comox Valley, Canada
Level Contributor
694 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to Decide if we need a car Akumal HMB

Bob, do you mean Coba? Yes easy to do by car. Hire a guide when you get there. There's a lot to know about Mayan history and walking around on your own isn't worth it there. Just a note....once you get away from the ocean breeze, it's hot in the bush. We got there right at 8 and it was fairly cool for the first hour.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
4,255 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to Decide if we need a car Akumal HMB

When we did Coba from Tulum we had a taxi take us which was about $100 for the day, plus he stopped for us to shop along the way. I agree with you I sometimes just feel like it's more of a vacation without a car, although we rented one when we had a rental house at Tankah because it is somewhat remote. But in lPaya del Carmen we have just rented cars for the day when we needed them and used taxis for local trips. And the shuttles from the airport are easy and IMHO a good value.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
458 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to Decide if we need a car Akumal HMB

Re: "... Guessing it is due to it being over the holidays. .."

I think you are probably right. I've never paid anywhere close to $40 a day ($70 more like it) although I'm always there in high season (Jan to Apr) and I never get the smallest car as even a VW Jetta is tough to fit 3 people plus luggage from the airport (and often groceries too).

Try Rentadora Isis (PdC based) for gettting a car delivered to Akumal for a day. Edgar might be able to work something out for you (I'm guessing there might be a surcharge for that).

Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trying to Decide if we need a car Akumal HMB

Have any of you ever had a safety concern driving through the area or in town? I feel like we would be safer in a group bus....

Comox Valley, Canada
Level Contributor
694 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trying to Decide if we need a car Akumal HMB

About the only "safety" issue we've came across are some of the old vehicles that creep around on the highways that people crazily pass. That and pedestrians, animals,etc on the narrow country roads that you have to keep an eye on. And the topes ( speedbumps) that endanger your fillings if you don't see them!. Is that what you're referring to?

Edited: 16 December 2017, 09:03
Reply to: Trying to Decide if we need a car Akumal HMB
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted