We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat in La Malbaie

Ontario
Level Contributor
112 posts
5 reviews
Where to eat in La Malbaie

My husband and I are going to La Malbaie next week for a couple of nights. We're not familiar with the area and aren't sure where to go for a nice meal. Can anyone recommend good restaurants? Are there must try lunch places in the Charlevoix area as well?

One last question. We are planning on going whale watching. Is this a good time of year for sightings?

Rimouski (Québec)
Level Contributor
368 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Where to eat in La Malbaie

Hello,

I have not tried any restaurants in La Malbaie. However I suggest you check the Quebec Tourism Office web site at their "restaurants" page. On the right side of that page you can enter the name of the region (Charlevoix) and the name of the town and choose the type of food you are looking for:

bonjourquebec.com/qc-en/restauration0.html

As far as whales are concerned I think the best way to observe them is directly from the shore at Bergeronnes a few km east of Tadoussac. The whales come as close as 10-15 meters from the shore:

pc.gc.ca/eng/…natcul2.aspx

Robert

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
330 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: Where to eat in La Malbaie

Actually, right now there are a lot of whales in Tadoussac....this is one of the better times to go.

Robeli, I just sat on the rocks there last weekend and we enjoyed the company of minkes for the whole time....lovely.

La Malbaie has a lot of restaurants but I have not found anything that stands out personally. We usually stay at the Manoir Richelieu and eat in one of their restaurants because of that. But, Rue Richelieu is one street dedicated to the majority of restaurants in the area and you can really take your time walking along that street and seeing what the choices are.

Ontario
Level Contributor
112 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Where to eat in La Malbaie

We'll be staying at the Manoir Richelieu as well. I've heard that the food is pretty good. Was hoping for local fare but we'll check it out. Can't wait to go whale watching, hopefully the weather will be decent.

Thanks to both of you for your help and advice.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
4. Re: Where to eat in La Malbaie

Hi Littlemum

My husband and I are spending a couple of nights in La Malbaie shortly too. We have made a reservation for Vices Versa for one of the nights which might be worth a look vicesversa.com/english/about_the_food.html

We had a lovely, warm email from the restaurant on receipt of our reservation query - and judging by that, the menu concept and the sample on-line menu - we are looking forward to our visit.

If you do visit, or find any other "gems", be sure to let me know :-)

Edited: 26 August 2011, 03:57
Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
330 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Where to eat in La Malbaie

Hey LittlePumpkin....that looks great. I will actually venture in there myself. Thanks!

Ontario
Level Contributor
112 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Where to eat in La Malbaie

Hi Little Pumkin

Thanks so much for that tip. The menu looks wonderful. We have not looked at other restaurants/menus but will do that on the weekend as we are leaving next week. I will surely let you know if we find any other treasures. Thanks again

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
7. Re: Where to eat in La Malbaie

Hope it doesnt disappoint either of you!

You can tell them the Irish lass sent you ;-)

Edited: 26 August 2011, 05:15
Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Where to eat in La Malbaie

Special meal: Auberge des 3 Canards auberge3canards.com/Auberge-hotel-charlevoix…

For lunch, I heartily recommend Café Chez Nous, in nearby Cap-à`l'Aigle. Convivial place, yummy food. http://www.cafecheznous.com/

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
9. Re: Where to eat in La Malbaie

Do you think Cafe chez nous would pack a picnic Eirelover?

The day we leave La Malbaie we hope to drive directly to North Hatley and don't really want to have to stop and source somewhere for lunch.

Looking at their menu, having a sandwich or salad plate from there to have en route would probably be a better option.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
10. Re: Where to eat in La Malbaie

My husband and I recently returned from La Malbaie. We ate dinner at a lovely restaurant called Chez Truchon. Nice atmosphere and great food. I would also recommend a brand new cafe called Cafe Interlude. It's only been open a couple of months and we had a great breakfast and a delicious and inexpensive lunch there. It's very casual and everything is homemade. It was opened by two guys from Ottawa who fell in love with La Malbaie and recently moved there. We went whalewatchingin Tadoussac and saw tons of whales.

Get answers to your questions about La Malbaie