We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shells fossils

North Myrtle Beach...
1 post
Save Topic
shells fossils

Are there shells on the beach now August 13, 2014. I live at North Myrtle and there are none.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shells fossils

I am not there now, BUT I often visit the island and can honestly say that I have always seen shells. Now to be clear, they're not the big, beautiful shiny shells that can be found sometimes, but I feel confident to say that you may find tiny shells, shards of shells, and maybe if you're lucky a whole big shell. :)

And maybe even sharks teeth!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
21,277 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shells fossils

Greetings!

Here is a website about N.C. Shell Cub.

www.ncshellclub.com/Collect.htm

I hope this helps.

Waterford, NY
Level Contributor
656 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: shells fossils

Here now in topsail Beach. Beach is wide, flat and clean this year... very few shells, sharks teeth or anything else. Not so good for the artifact hunters but great for everyone else. We did find a couple tiny sharks teeth yesterday, but you damn near need a microscope. Water really warm!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,277 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shells fossils

Greetings dave230,

Have you clicked on the website I posted? Have you tried googling the best places to find seashells near Topsail? I have found that heading out at dawn, at low tide, after a storm, has been the most productive for finding shells.

Happy hunting!

Sanford, North...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: shells fossils

Go to Lea Island - whelks, sand dollars, shells of all sorts and one post ask if there was a way over if you do not have a boat- YES 2 that I know of Tuck's boat taxi and the tiki taxi both take people over - yo will love Lea Island shells

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,277 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shells fossils

FYI

Lea - Hutaff Island, is an important sanctuary for birds, wildlife, and a peaceful recreational area for visitors.

For further information> n.c.audubon.org/lea-hutaff-island

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,086 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shells fossils

If the OP wants to go in the other direction, Bull Island is an uninhabited reserve north of Charleston. There is a ferry that goes out from Cape Romain.

http://www.bullsislandferry.com/

There's a beautiful maritime forest there and lots of shells. Bring water, bug spray and food if you want it. There is nothing there, except local wildlife to include gators.

Hinsdale...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: shells fossils

I have enjoyed fossils and shell collecting for about 50 years. Though my collection in very small I still like collecting. The cost of shells has prevented me in collecting since my wife and I live in a small mobile home.

Still I enjoy fossil.s and shells.

If you can help me to receive low prices I would appreciated.

E-mail eagle41446@verizon.net

Sneads Ferry, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: shells fossils

Come to the Missiles and More Museum to view a great international shell Collection. There is also a Fossil dig behind the Talos at the front of the building. Sharks teeth and more are found there. http://missilesandmoremuseum.org/

10. Re: shells fossils

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2018, 12:18