We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit Mt Buller

Kuala Lumpur
3 posts
Save Topic
Best time to visit Mt Buller

Hi there, I am planning to visit Mt Buller for some beginner skiing either in July or August. May I know which month is better? Any possibility can witness some snow falls as well?

Thank you...

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,562 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit Mt Buller

Late July, early August is when there usually is the most snow & best ski-ing, though each year is different. There is a good possibility then of seeing snowfalls too.

Are you planning on staying on the mountain or just doing a day tour? You will enjoy your time more if you can spend 2 or 3 days there as it will take most of the first day to feel comfortable on ski's if you haven't skied before. If you can go mid week, the accommodation is usually a bit cheaper, though that time is more expensive because it is the best ski-ing.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
665 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit Mt Buller

Hi Kelvin, My family had just returned from Melbourne and trip to Mt Buller, Unfortunately it was just a day trip as I am unable to book for a night stay although I have tried enquiring whilst in KL and in Melbourne.

Just to update you, the snow is pretty good for skiing and the temperature last Wednesday up the mountain was -1celcius. If not mistaken it would be pack now (plse check the website) as they are having two weeks school holidays now in Melbourne. So you may like to go after the school holidays as it might be cheap. That's all I can provide you with a feedback. You can try Evergreen (search the thread on this forum) they are throwing offer for a night stay incl of ski package. If you planning to stay a night, YHA hostel is very near and is at the centre of the ski village.

Good luck and happy holidays Dina

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,562 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit Mt Buller

Very good point from Dina. You do need to book your accommodation in advance, especially during the busiest times. The Mt Buller website has info on places to stay as well as how to get there.

Kuala Lumpur
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit Mt Buller

Hi Dina & Ellen,

Thank u very much on the fast reply. I will be planning a 5days 4nights DIY trip and no plans have been made. I think I will opt for early August as recommended by Ellen. Heard accomodation at Mt Buller is quite costly. A friend recommended to stay a bit further but he cannot recall the name of the place. Need help on this one...

My itinerary... Melbourne City, Phillip Island, Great Barrier Rd & Mt Buller. Is 5d4n enough? Hope you please help me with planning of the schedule; ie which place to go first and which location should i put up a night? I will be renting a car, pick up from airport.

Thanks again!

5. Re: Best time to visit Mt Buller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 June 2010, 18:50
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,562 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit Mt Buller

Yes, 5 days & 4 nights isn't enough time to see what you want to see, even though I think you mean the Great Ocean Road? You need to allow 1 day for Phillip Island & 2 days for the GOR which only gives you time for a day trip to Mt Buller.

Can you allow more time for the trip? If not, then I suggest you base yourself in Melbourne & do day tours to Phillip Island & the GOR with small group tour companies such as Go West or ATWAD. You can also do a day trip to Mt Buller by bus. Mt Buller is a 3 hour drive from Melbourne & you will need to hire chains if you are driving yourself up the mountain. Doing a tour means you can sleep on the bus (it's a very early start & late return) & not have to worry about the drive.

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to visit Mt Buller

Depending what time you arrive in Melbourne on Day 1 - Pick up the car in Melbourne city, afternoon about 3 pm drive to Phillip Island and o/n there. drive through Warrigul and Noojee to Mt. Baw Baw O/n.

Drive back to Melbourne through Yarra Glen and across the Western Ring Road west to pick up the Princes Hwy to Geelong o/n.

Drive Great Ocean Road to Port Campbell and Warrnambool.O/N

Drive back to Melbourne along the Princes Hwy and return car. O/n

www.mountbawbaw.com.au.

Edited: 24 June 2010, 01:20
East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to visit Mt Buller

For absolute beginners see Snow Sports Mount Baw Baw.

mountbawbaw.com.au/index.php…

Discover Package Level 1

Return to Melbourne through Yarra Junction *not* Yarra Glen

Kuala Lumpur
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to visit Mt Buller

Thank u all for the very informative replies. I can be there for 6 days 5 nights I'd my latter plan is not sufficient. I will reach Melbourne at 8 am. And yes, I meant the ocean road. Sorry...

2 more questions:

1. Can I do skiing in baw baw? Which one is better? Baw baw or buller?

2. Any hotels to recommend for the few locations, budget around aud60-80? Hope to get the ones doing promotion like previously by medina @ only aud 50 p/n during their 50th anniversary..

3. Should I rent the car in city or the airport? Any car rental co to recommend with promotion currently?

Thanks again ya...

10. Re: Best time to visit Mt Buller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2010, 17:16