We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3/4 nights in the Barossa Valley

Pingelly, Australia
Level Contributor
690 posts
29 reviews
7 helpful votes
3/4 nights in the Barossa Valley
Save

We are planning to stay in Angaston for 3/4 nights in February & Ive booked an Airbnb from a Friday to a Monday. However our plans need to change & it looks like we need to arrive on a Sunday & stay for 4 nights. My question is: will we find everything open on a Monday/Tuesday. In WA, many restaurants & cafes close on a Monday/Tuesday. Will we find this is the case in the Barossa? We were looking forward to the buzz that the weekend offers. Are we making a mistake by changing our dates?

I know there’s markets in Angaston - I would presume they’re on a Saturday & we’d hate to miss those. Is there anything else we’d miss?

What to do?

5 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
13,475 posts
1,384 reviews
1,053 helpful votes
1. Re: 3/4 nights in the Barossa Valley
Save

Greetings

- Will you have a car?

- Frankly I suspect that visiting over the weekend would offer you more local ambience to experience

- Do you have a list of places to visit already?

Bon voyage!

AT

Pingelly, Australia
Level Contributor
690 posts
29 reviews
7 helpful votes
2. Re: 3/4 nights in the Barossa Valley
Save

Yes we will have a hire car. We will be in SA for 2.5 weeks altogether and I've put a rough itinerary together. I think we'll try to stick to our dates so that we are in Angaston over the weekend, although having said that, we have to be somewhere (McLaren Vale, Adelaide Hills) on a Monday/Tuesday. I haven't yet delved deeper into what's around in the Barossa but it looks like there's plenty. We have a few months to work it out, but any suggestions would be welcome.

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
13,475 posts
1,384 reviews
1,053 helpful votes
3. Re: 3/4 nights in the Barossa Valley
Save

Greetings again

One weekend attraction which is worth visiting is the weekly Saturday morning Barossa Farmers Market ... https://www.barossafarmersmarket.com/

AT

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
21,202 posts
67 reviews
28 helpful votes
4. Re: 3/4 nights in the Barossa Valley
Save

If you are in to local history, get on to the Historical Society and organise a tour of the Doddridge Blacksmith Shop - now Heritage listed. (Disclosure - my husband’s grandfather was the Blacksmith then along with his brother - no financial or familial connection - I’ve never met that side of the family/visited...but will one day). American friends did visit a couple of years ago and really enjoyed the personalised tour.

Cheers.

Pingelly, Australia
Level Contributor
690 posts
29 reviews
7 helpful votes
5. Re: 3/4 nights in the Barossa Valley
Save

Thank you for your suggestions! Adelaidiantraveller - the Barossa Farmers Markets are the reason we’d like to be in Angaston on a Saturday morning. Thank you for the link. We don’t want to miss it.

Sweetbiscuit21 - I will most certainly make a note of the Doddridge Blacksmith Shop. We are right into that sort of thing & your connection is fascinating - thank you for sharing.

We are into local history, which reminds me that we are National Trust members so I must have a look to see what buildings are run by the National Trust.

Thanks again!

Reply to: 3/4 nights in the Barossa Valley
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Angaston
Recent Conversations
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.