We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car without International Driver's License?

New York City, New...
5 posts
Renting a car without International Driver's License?

Hi everyone,

Will I have a problem renting a car without an international driver's license. I have a Canadian license. I'm already abroad, so getting one before I arrive is not a possibility.

Thanks!

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
15,979 posts
1. Re: Renting a car without International Driver's License?

You will probably find someone who will rent you a car but you will be driving illegally & your insurance will be invalid. Will you have a problem? Yes if you get stopped by police for any reason from traffic violation to routine check. And most certainly if you are involved in an accident which might result in damage to your car, another car, your person or worst of all another person. Do not take the risk if you value property & life.

New York City, New...
5 posts
2. Re: Renting a car without International Driver's License?

Well, OK then! That answers my question.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12,446 posts
78 reviews
3. Re: Renting a car without International Driver's License?

Yes, you need it, it's a legal requirement. Unfortunately there are some agencies will rent you a car without even asking for it, let alone seeing it, but that is totally irresponsible.

See the first FAQ on a reputable car hire site here,

acerentacar.gr/rent-a-car-athens-greece/…1

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,896 posts
4. Re: Renting a car without International Driver's License?

If you had a US driver's license you could apply by mail to AAA and have the IDP FedExed to you overseas. I don't believe the CAA does this, but you could check. If you are resident in an EU country you could apply for a driver's license there, and then wouldn't need an IDP.

New York City, New...
5 posts
5. Re: Renting a car without International Driver's License?

Thanks. I was confused about the IDP because online resources are unclear on which European countries actually require it, rather than just suggest it. For example, I read several sources that suggested you don't require an IDP in Belgium (but other sources contradicted, of course).

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,896 posts
6. Re: Renting a car without International Driver's License?

Yes, each country has its own rules. Last I checked US licence holders don't need an IDP in the UK or Germany, are suggested but not required to have one in France, but legally required to have one in Italy and Greece. The US State Dept and its Canadian equivalent have travel websites that show the requirements in each country.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
15,979 posts
7. Re: Renting a car without International Driver's License?

Here in the UK we have some uncertainty post Brexit as to whether, once we have left the EU, we shall also need an IDP for Greece (or other EU member country). But certainly it is essential to comply with the law of the country you are visiting. No-one wants to find their two week holiday has turned into an extended stay!

Hope the €€€ you will save on car hire will enable you to travel around by public transport/taxis to get to the places you wanted to visit. If you need local transport advice I am sure someone will have information.

8. Re: Renting a car without International Driver's License?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2018, 16:16