We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cable car up and down help

London, United...
Level Contributor
249 posts
5 reviews
Cable car up and down help

Hi everyone,

We go to Tianmen mountain on October 29th with a guide, all booked. I didn’t realise you have to either go up or come down the 99 bends road. I assumed we would be going up and down via the cable car. My guide ( who is being very helpful) has said that it is not possible to go up and down via cable car ( off peak season it is possible I think). My problem is I cannot do the mountain road due to fear of a past experience on a mountain road. I am quite happy to walk the 11 km down if it is permitted but I cannot do the road.

Can anyone advise me what to do or how to insist on the cable car up and down. If not I have to cancel my day on this fabulous mountain

Thanks

Jo

9 replies to this topic
Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
2,518 posts
54 reviews
1. Re: Cable car up and down help

October 29th is definitely off-peak. I've never heard of one-way use of the cable car - we used in both ways in September, but that was four years ago. Are you sure he isn't meaning the chair-lift near the top?

London, United...
Level Contributor
249 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Cable car up and down help

Ah your reply makes me so happy!! No he means the big cable car.

Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Cable car up and down help

As of last year, you could still take the cable car down if you get back on at the same spot you got off, ie at the top cable car station. If you visit Tianmen Dong (cave), the buses only go down to the bottom so to use the cable car down you would have to take the escalators back up to the top and get back to the cable car station.

Maybe the cable cars are down for maintenance/upgrading during your dates. Is that what your guide is referring to?

London, United...
Level Contributor
249 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Cable car up and down help

Apparently it’s line A and Line B. Meaning cable car up and bus down or Bus up and cable car down. He mentioned they don’t do cable up and cable down.

Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Cable car up and down help

My guide confirms that it is true that it is cale car up and bus down or vice versa. She was able to get me on cable car up and down and says it is possible for people to apply to do so. Don't know any details about such an application.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
31 posts
63 reviews
6. Re: Cable car up and down help

Hi Jo, i do understand your fear, however i would highly recommend you do the road, it is such an amzing experience to see the views it has to offer!

The ticketing is a true nightmare for an English speaking persone since you will find that English are extremely rare, its not like Shanghai where you can get away with the basic words. I would suggest that you rather take the bus journey up and come back via cable car, also go early as possible! The mountain geta extremely crowded! I’m not scared of hights and have done some extreme things all over the world, but I found the cable car to be way scarier than the bus, with than being said it should not stop you from doing it! It’s and absolute increadible experience! Enjoy!

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
31 posts
63 reviews
7. Re: Cable car up and down help

Hi Jo, i do understand your fear, however i would highly recommend you do the road, it is such an amzing experience to see the views it has to offer!

The ticketing is a true nightmare for an English speaking persone since you will find that English are extremely rare, its not like Shanghai where you can get away with the basic words. I would suggest that you rather take the bus journey up and come back via cable car, also go early as possible! The mountain geta extremely crowded! I’m not scared of hights and have done some extreme things all over the world, but I found the cable car to be way scarier than the bus, with than being said it should not stop you from doing it! It’s and absolute increadible experience! Enjoy!

London, United...
Level Contributor
249 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Cable car up and down help

Thanks for your input. I have previously had an accident on a high mountain road hence my fear of attempting another mountain road! ESP one as crazy as the 99 Bends. I won’t do the road, I can’t. I’ve arranged now to do the cable car up and down!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
125 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: Cable car up and down help

I read in a blogger’s Zhangjajie guidebook. It mentioned during peak season March 1-you can only take the cable cars one way regarding The Tianmen Mountain cable. They operate longer than the escalator during the day. I assume if you aren’t allowed to take it both ways. You could use escalators instead.

We will be there around the same time. Hope you find the solution.

Reply to: Cable car up and down help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted