We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hot to get from Guilin to Zhangjiajie

Riga, Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hot to get from Guilin to Zhangjiajie

Hi! We are big group of friends. We are coming in October to Guilin. We planed to go then to Zhangjiajie by overnight train trough Liuzhou/Liujiang. But we are told that the train from Liujiang to Zhangjiajie is the worst train in China now. The train condition is not very good including sanitation condition.

Is it true? Fnd if so what are the other possibilities?

Thank you!

Alla

Mentioned in this post
Guilin
Guilin
Guangxi, China
Zhangjiajie
Zhangjiajie
Hunan, China
4 replies to this topic
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hot to get from Guilin to Zhangjiajie

I don't think the Liujiang-ZJJ train is the worst train in China, but it is standard (not high speed service). If you decide to do this, I'd book soft sleepers even if a little more than hard sleepers; the carriage condition and toilets generally stay better for longer.

But--How big is a "big group"? If it's big enough, you might be better off splitting the cost of private road transport, especially if you have time to stop off for a day/night in Fenghuang or Dehang on the way. Then you wouldn't have to go south (to Liuzhou) to go north to ZJJ.

BTW, I hope your trip is not the first week of October, which is one of the biggest national holidays of the year.

Mentioned in this post
Fenghuang County
Fenghuang County
Hunan, China
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,270 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hot to get from Guilin to Zhangjiajie

There are various classes of travel on these trains. Soft sleepers should be ok while hard seats or hard sleepers won't be great.

1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Hot to get from Guilin to Zhangjiajie

Huge thanks! You really help me 😊

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hot to get from Guilin to Zhangjiajie

I took that train twice, and recently did it last year. I'd say the condition is not good. But the soft sleeper would be fine.

Otherwise, you can take a bullet train to Changsha South, then a bus to Zhangjiajie.

Mentioned in this post
Changsha
Changsha
Hunan, China
Reply to: Hot to get from Guilin to Zhangjiajie
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted