We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting for a week

Portland, Oregon
1 post
Save Topic
Visiting for a week

I'm flying into RDU for a wedding but have three full days to explore around the area before any wedding festivities. I would love to head into the mountains. Is Asheville the place to go? 4 hours seems a long drive, but I've heard it's great. Any other recommendations? Is it worth the drive?

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
753 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting for a week

Ashevillie is one of my favorite places on earth, and there are lots of places to hike, climb, etc. from there. It is a funky, artsy town with a great food and music scene. But yes, its about 4 hoursish.

Another option is Blowing Rock, it is only 3 1/2. Much smaller town, but you can get to the amazing Linville Gorge from there, and Grandfather mtn. etc.

Of course, another option would be to head the other direction and drive 2 hours to Wrightsville Beach. Beautiful time of the year to be there.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
40 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting for a week

Asheville is great, but you can't really do it as a day trip and if you want to spend more than a day there you may get into a situation where you have to pay for two hotels. If that's not an issue then I would definitely recommend heading out there for 1-2 days. I recommend a stop in Black Mountain on your way there - neat little town with some musical instrument makers and other artisans. Definitely book some time to drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway if you have not, it's beautiful and absolutely stunning once the leaves start to turn. Asheville is a great place to just walk around and see the sights, but I have also found it useful to take one of the tours that takes you around the city on a bus and gives you more of an insight into the history.

There's lots of stuff to see in RDU as well, but it's spread out across quite a large area. I would advise to figure out what your interests are and we can probably provide more direct advice for RDU stuff.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
36 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting for a week

I would explore Wilmington, its a great town and you are much closer to that than you are to Asheville.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting for a week

Some websites to look at:

http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/main.php

everytrail.com/best/hiking-raleigh-north-car…

Apart from Chapel Hill/Carrboro, Cary, Durham, Hillsboro - all nice .. you could alsodrive to to New Bern; not mountains, but a nice drive + Wilmington mentioned above...

The second website gives you good hiking suggestions, if interested....

http://www.scout.me/hiking--near--new-bern-nc

Edited: 24 September 2012, 23:36
West Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting for a week

I am just about to leave the raleigh area after a short trip. The coast is worth a trip if you have time.

We stayed two nights in Wilmington with a drive out to Wrightsville beach-lovely. Then two days in New Bern, also worth a visit.

6. Re: Visiting for a week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 11:19