We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding downtown in 2011

Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding downtown in 2011

We are planning a wedding for next summer in downtown Raleigh. We were planning for most of the guests to stay in the Marriott and Sheraton, but am concerned about the soon-to-be-built sky scraper down there. Any idea when it will be built?

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
526 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding downtown in 2011

If you're talking about the one that was supposed to be built across Fayetteville Street from the Marriott, there's no set date or anything. The recession has pretty much halted all tower construction in downtown Raleigh, except for a couple of government projects (that are not on that block). Since no one can see that far ahead, I wouldn't worry for now. And even if they started construction on it, I do not think it would close Fayetteville Street, and definitely not the sidewalks connecting the Marriott to the Sheraton. That's a very important area to keep open to pedestrians now for business and convention purposes.

Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding downtown in 2011

Thanks. Do you happen to know if the Sheraton and Marriott are pretty similar in terms of accommodations? We are going soon to "try out" the Sheraton, but the Marriott was booked for the entire weekend. That made me curious.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
526 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding downtown in 2011

^I've never stayed at either but have been thru the lobbies. Both are very nice, but Marriott is newer and, I believe, a higher price point, so many folks would think it's the nicer one. (Though I personally prefer Sheraton's brick exterior...has a more classic feel.)

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding downtown in 2011

I stayed at the Marriott last December. The room was very comfortable, clean, great services. It's a newer hotel too so you can expect less wear and tear. I wouldn't worry about the high-rise next door for now - the construction site's been frozen, cranes - gone, etc. So it'll be pretty quiet, although the view won't be all that pretty.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding downtown in 2011

Marriott is definitely better; but see what group rate you can get in both; I do not think that skyscraper is going to be finished before the wedding...

All NC construction in downtown cities seem to have halted or some are in foreclosure (Charlotte)...

6. Re: Wedding downtown in 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2011, 16:16