We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Southwest out of RDU ?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
160 posts
35 reviews
Flying Southwest out of RDU ?

We are flying into and out of RDU in a few weeks for Duke Graduation. We have never flown Southwest and were wondering how much time to allow before our flight sunday (4:45 pm) for returning the rental car and checking bags. Thanks for any advice!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
173 reviews
1. Re: Flying Southwest out of RDU ?

90 minutes should be about right. I like Southwest; I hope they will start flying from Charlotte soon, so we don't have to travel to RDU to get cheap flights...

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
160 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: Flying Southwest out of RDU ?

Thanks for your reply! we are thinking about trying to do carryon luggage only but it is nice to know 90 mins will be enough with bags to check

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
173 reviews
3. Re: Flying Southwest out of RDU ?

I never check in my luggage (even for Fiji & Australia - out for a month of March); then even 60 mins from Security to any gate - 60 mins; but 90 mins is pref. - you never know, there could be a group of schoolchildren etc..

Maryland
Level Contributor
403 posts
360 reviews
4. Re: Flying Southwest out of RDU ?

My experience from the time we dropped off the rental car to the time we arrived to the gate it was less than 45 min. We do not check in luggage. The gate is very close to the ticket counter. It's not a very large airport. I would still start off by dropping off the rental 2 hours before flight takes off because you never know what obstacles can occur, traffic, whatever. I was surpised to know how far the rental car offices were from the airport, it seemed like it was a few miles. It is an easy airport to get around.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Flying Southwest out of RDU ?

The rental car returns all have shuttle service to the airport and are within a half mile of the terminal. Southwast is in its own end of the old terminal and thet are very effecient ( and friendly )The airport is very easy to get around but not much to do once you get there. You should have no problem getting it all done in 90 minutes.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
160 posts
35 reviews
6. Re: Flying Southwest out of RDU ?

Thanks to all for your input! One more ? : Can we buy food in the terminal?

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
173 reviews
7. Re: Flying Southwest out of RDU ?

Here is the list of restaurants:

http://www.rdu.com/shoprest/dining.htm

8. Re: Flying Southwest out of RDU ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2010, 15:16
Get answers to your questions about Raleigh