We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best route from baltimore

providence, rhode...
Level Contributor
356 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
best route from baltimore

could someone help me with directions, i am driving in from baltimore going to a hotel on hillsborough st. near pullen park. google has me taking 95 to 85 to Rt. 1 into the city. 95 and 85 seem okay but what is rt. 1 like? i prefer to be on highways, i hate city roads and a million traffic lights. would 95 to 64 be better? any help would be appreciated. thanks

Virginia
Level Contributor
919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best route from baltimore

I go past that area on my way to Pinehurst pretty often. You can get to Raleigh on the highways by going down I-95 to Rocky Mount. From there, US-64 will take you westward to Raleigh. I can't say that I know the roads in Raleigh that well, but a quick look at a map makes me think you'd want to follow Route 64 around the south side of Raleigh. I'm sure the folks at your hotel could give you good directions once you get that close. Following Route 1 south from I-85 isn't my favorite way, there are lots and lots of lights. Good luck.

providence, rhode...
Level Contributor
356 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best route from baltimore

thanks, that confirms what i was thinking

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
526 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best route from baltimore

Yeah I think Google maps is using the preferred route before 64 was improved.

I-85 still makes sense if you're going to Durham or other parts westward, but not for Raleigh.

I-95 down to 64 and over to Raleigh definitely makes the most sense. A big bonus is that 95 below the Virginia line---as well as most of route 64--has a speed limit of 70 mph. Whereas most of route 1 barely reaches 55mph. A huge difference!

providence, rhode...
Level Contributor
356 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best route from baltimore

thanks,

i definitely am going to take 95 to 64, sounds like the best route

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
225 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best route from baltimore

Hi, was wondering if you took your trip yet..... I am going to Raleigh this Friday from Fredericksburg, VA, and all maps have me going to 85 to 1 way also. I have never been on either road, but have been on 95. Let me know how you made out. If I hadn't read your post, I wouldn't have known any better and went tthe 85 to 1 way. Now I think I won't

providence, rhode...
Level Contributor
356 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best route from baltimore

hi patty, yes, we did our trip and taking 95 to 64 was very easy, no problems at all. the only problem we had was once we got into raleigh, google gave us some bad directions to our location, but we were already in the city at that point. but be careful, there is another route 64, not awfully far outside of baltimore, i knew it wouldn't be that soon, but it kind of threw me when i first saw it come up.

Maryland
Level Contributor
399 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best route from baltimore

How long did it take you ? Just curious because I get different drive times from about 5 different people

Virginia
Level Contributor
919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best route from baltimore

neptunechic, I know that in perfect traffic conditions, we can make it from Reston, VA to Pinehurst, NC in about 5 hours and 20 minutes. Raleigh is around an hour less, so around 4-1/2 hours. With traffic on I-95, its much more common for us to take a half hour longer, and sometimes its even worse. We try to avoid heading south in the late afternoons, especially Friday afternoon, and heading north on Sunday afternoon can often be tediously slow.

providence, rhode...
Level Contributor
356 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best route from baltimore

can't give you an exact time because i don't know for sure. but we left baltimore airport about 3:30 on a saturday afternoon, hit no traffic and got to raleigh between 8:30 and 9:00. made 1 quick pit stop along the way.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best route from baltimore

The key is traffic leaving DC. If you are not at a peak traffic time you will NOT want to take the by-pass around Richmond. Stay on 95 all the way to Rocky Mount and then pick up #64 to Raleigh.