We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duck vs Ocracoke

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Topic
Duck vs Ocracoke

We have gone to Ocracoke for many years now and are considering trying Duck this year. We always go for a two week stay.

I would kindly ask if there is anyone here who has vacationed in both places, if they could comment on the key differences?

I can say that one thing we love about Ocracoke is how easy things are there. Everything is walkable and close by. We also love the live oak trees and just the general town environment. However, it all might be getting a little samey (it is a small place) and the trip there and back is a long one.

We do not need a house on the beach and this isn't a concern. We always bring our two dogs. This is why it's Duck or Ocracoke. Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Ocracoke
Ocracoke
Outer Banks, NC
Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,962 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duck vs Ocracoke

Since I live here I don't vacation in Duck since it's just 10 miles north, but I have been to both and spent nights on Ocracoke. The two are pretty much night and day different with some similar things. Ocean, sand, beaches, restaurants and shops are the similar things. There are golf carts but they are not allowed on rt 12 and not many places to park them near the ocean accesses or businesses like on Ocracoke. Duck is 5 miles long and the center is where the shops are that many want to rent near so you can walk to them. Being to far north will require driving to shops and stuff. Bikes are popular in Duck, but the big difference is that busy rt 12 road going through town. You can't drive onto the beach either, but it is a lot easier to get to than on Ocracoke since you can walk to the beach easily. It has a "Town" feeling but not like Ocracoke, but it is LOTS easier to get to!

Edited: 14 January 2016, 01:14
Mentioned in this post
Ocracoke
Ocracoke
Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duck vs Ocracoke

Have you considered Manteo? Lovely town, easy to get to with several routes to choose from, has a waterfront and boardwalk and nice bicycling/walking path. Quick drive to Nags Head with many public beach access points and free parking.

Mentioned in this post
Manteo
Manteo
Roanoke Island, NC
Nags Head
Nags Head
Outer Banks, NC
3. Re: Duck vs Ocracoke

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2017, 17:17
Get answers to your questions about Duck