We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday arrival to Duck

2 posts
Save Topic
Sunday arrival to Duck

I read the earlier post about Saturday arrivals being a nightmare, and some echoed that Sunday was just as bad. We are visiting the OBX (specifically Duck) for a week beginning this Sunday. We will be driving from Boston, so I can only gauge our arrival time so much.

I read a blog suggesting 64 instead of 158...?

Does anyone have advice on the 64 vs 158? Looks like 158 is longer mileage wise but perhaps less traffic? Is after three worst? We were planning to leave Boston 3am ish hoping to be in OBX by 3-4pm. Wondering if we should change our plans....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! We are traveling with our two small children who are great travelers but any tips to avoid the throngs of traffic would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Nor'Banks Sailing & Watersports
Kayaking & Canoeing, Parasailing & Paragliding, River Rafting & Tubing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Coastal Kayak Touring Company
Kayaking & Canoeing, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday arrival to Duck

Anyone saying traffic on Sunday is as bad as Saturday is not well versed on what happens here and do not have the experience to be saying that, because it is not even close to be correct. The crawl from Kitty Hawk up to Duck is 5 miles and will be SLOW, but the traffic to the bridge is not anything as bad as Saturday traffic, so I would just arrive and get in line if you are going to Duck. Getting here earlier won't change anything. Getting here at 3-4 will get you across the bridge just fine, then the slow 5 mile crawl up rt 12.

Edited: 04 August 2015, 03:24
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday arrival to Duck

Great, thanks very much OBX200...we will stick with our plan to leave Boston 3am. We will mentally prepare for the crawl up 12. Thanks again to this OBX newbie family!

3. Re: Sunday arrival to Duck

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2016, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Duck