We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time to Duck

New Marshfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
first time to Duck

There will be a group of 8 of us women gathering in Duck for a college reunion in June. We are all 50+ years and some with mobility issues. Of course we want to go to the beach daily, but not all day and will be looking for other things to do. What do you recommend?

Are there any sunset cruises we should check out? And I had not thought about it before, but we would even be in to doing a sunrise cruise if that is available.

The house we are renting has a game room and a theater, but those are for after dark, when we use to be out clubbing.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
3,077 posts
136 reviews
1. Re: first time to Duck

I don't know of any sunrise cruises, just get you coffee and go to the beach on a new clear morning and watch it rise. I go out on an atv and ride 20 miles Saturday mornings looking for sea turtle nest 15-20 min before sunrise and it never amazes me the number of people out there waiting for it.

As far as sunset just go over to the Duck town park where they have a new deck and gazebo and enjoy the sunset over the sound.

Duck, North Carolina
Level Contributor
229 posts
2. Re: first time to Duck

As far as I know, there are no cruises leaving from Duck. -- No clubbing either, so you won't be missing out. :)

Duck tends to be quieter and more family oriented. The town website gives information on events throughout the summer -- http://www.townofduck.com/events/ You all might enjoy the concerts on the town green. There is a nice soundside boardwalk where you can walk and watch the birds and the sunset. There are several restaurants along the boardwalk if you would rather sit and watch the sunset. (There are a number of excellent restaurants in Duck.) Would the more mobile members of your group have any interest in a kayak tour? There are a couple of coffee shops, one of which is in a historic hunt club building. There are several shopping areas with quaint local stores and restaurants, most also with seating areas to take a break. Be sure to stop by Duck Donuts, originally a local store (now expanding chain) with delicious handmade donuts.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: first time to Duck

You could do a Dolphin cruise but you'll have a drive a little to get there.

http://outerbanksdolphincruises.com/

New Marshfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: first time to Duck

Thank you all for your suggestions. Several that I was not aware of. I am sure we will have a great time.

I really like the idea about the gazebo at sunset. The week of June 14, I will be the one there with a name tag on that says "LIFE" and I will be passing out lemons! That is the type of group we are!

New Marshfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: first time to Duck

WooHoo and the Dolphin cruise has a sunset cruise - pictures look gorgeous!

6. Re: first time to Duck

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2016, 16:15
Get answers to your questions about Duck