We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duck Traffic on Saturday June 13th

Philly, Pa
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Duck Traffic on Saturday June 13th

After reading some of the forums it seems like traffic is a nightmare on Saturdays in Duck.

Is this true in June as well as July and August?

We are coming from DC. Should we consider staying nearby so we can cross the bridge early Saturday and spend the day at the beach until check in?

Thanks for any advice

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
329 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duck Traffic on Saturday June 13th

This will be our first time going to the outer banks staying in Duck arriving on a Saturday the first week of August. We will be coming from Long Island, NY. Originally we were thinking of staying over on the way down but the more we thought about it we have decided to suck it up and drive overnight. With it being a 9 hour drive leaving at 10 or 11 pm would bring us to the bring at about 9am (I heard between 10am and 4pm is the worst). It is just myself and my husband driving down meeting up with friends from out of state. If you have little ones it might change the scenario. You have a shorter drive then ourselves I would figure 5 hours you could leave by 4am and you would be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,963 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duck Traffic on Saturday June 13th

It will be backed up as you get to Duck, yes, but the really problem is how far does the back up start. At it's peak is the first week of July to Sept and it can back up 15 miles. Mid June won't be as bad, but the last 5 miles will be slow since the traffic in Duck must slow to 20 mph and with all the people if goes slower than that. Plan to cross the bridge into Kitty hawk by 1pm and it won't be so bad.

Mentioned in this post
Kitty Hawk
Kitty Hawk
Outer Banks, NC
MD
Level Contributor
808 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duck Traffic on Saturday June 13th

The alternative approach is to leave at 10 am on Saturday morning and arrive at 8 pm in the evening. That early in June, the backup will clear by then and even though you lose a few hours in your vacation house, you're not completely exhausted for the next few days recovering from an all-nighter.

Edited: 31 January 2015, 01:57
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
423 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Duck Traffic on Saturday June 13th

I agree with OBX200 that it is not that bad in early June (accidents not withstanding), so sleep few hours more. BTW: Stay on on 113 going through Delmarva, it is nicer than 13.

Edited: 31 January 2015, 05:32
Philly, Pa
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duck Traffic on Saturday June 13th

Thanks everyone for the tips.

As of now we are thinking about spending the night in Richmond and trying to cross the bridge early (by 10am0 and hanging on the beach till we can get in the rental.

Are there public beaches we can go to with dogs? I read that the Duck beaches allow dogs but don't know if there are beaches with parking areas.

Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
Virginia
nc
Level Contributor
492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duck Traffic on Saturday June 13th

You will be a lot closer if you stay overnight in the Hampton Roads area.

MD
Level Contributor
808 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duck Traffic on Saturday June 13th

There's not many places in Duck where you can park near the beach, or anywhere else for that matter. In fact, that's actually one of the main reasons it's so much of a bottle neck there. Everyone is arriving with no place to go until their keys are ready, so they just hang out at the stores and walk back and forth causing even more traffic jams. I would check with your rental company to see if they will let you park and wait at your rental home providing you stay out of the house and out of the way of cleaning people. We've done this before. Park there and walk to the beach and enjoy it. Just make sure to keep towels and beach stuff easily accessible when you pack. The real challenge is access to a bathroom, which this option does not provide. That's why so many park around the shops and wait to get into the 1 or 2 bathroom stalls that are available.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
423 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Duck Traffic on Saturday June 13th

If you are coming from Long Island you want to cross over to Dover DE (DE-1 S, US-13 S, US-113...) and head down the Delmarva and cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel. This is a shorter trip and traffic is manageable. Heading south on 95 to Richmond will force you to go through the DC Metro on Friday, which you may not recover from until two days into your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Dover
Dover
Delaware
Chesapeake
Chesapeake
Virginia
Richmond
Richmond
Virginia
Hotel Metro
Hotel Metro
4,422 Reviews
New York City, NY
US
Level Contributor
140 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Duck Traffic on Saturday June 13th

Concur that "hanging at the beach" up North of the bridge is a LOT harder than south of it. 4 hours waiting for your house will feel like 4 weeks when you have nowhere to go. Have a plan, and a backup plan on what to do, you'll be fine.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Duck Traffic on Saturday June 13th

I would suggest crossing the bridge by 10 am and then drive north of Duck past Pine Island. There is a parking area you can use that is public. Currituck Southern Beach Access (471 Ocean Trail, Shower & Bathroom Facilities). When you are ready to head to your house you will be going the opposite way of traffic to get back to Duck.

Get answers to your questions about Duck
;