We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best shortcuts on OBX!

Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Best shortcuts on OBX!

I am an OBX LOCAL. Quit looking for shortcuts! Quit cutting through parking lots. The shortcuts that are being taken are on roads and through parking lots which are not designed for heavy traffic, not to mention at HIGHWAY SPEED. You are endangering the safety of people who make their homes here. Plan ahead. Take your time. Behave as you would wish for your neighborhood. Stay on 158 or Hwy 12 North. Or STAY HOME!!!!!!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
443 posts
1. Re: Best shortcuts on OBX!

Get off My Lawn!!!

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
136 reviews
2. Re: Best shortcuts on OBX!

I am curious what shortcut is through a parking lot and at highway speed. I understand your point, but you loose credibility when you make comments like that. I assume you are in Southern Shores.

Edited: 16 August 2015, 05:02
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Best shortcuts on OBX!

I am in Southern Shores and this morning I witnessed a car with PA plates loaded with luggage whip off 158, cut through the Marketplace shopping center at a minimum of 40 mph. They nearly ran over a family leaving Dollar Tree, made a wrong turn toward Wells Fargo,then made a fast u-turn and out the Juniper exit. Left on Juniper. They then were slowed by cars on Juniper and Trinitie Trail, (though they did tailgate the older couple in front of them). Didn't stop for the stop sign at Chickahauk before turning right and sped down Chickahauk without pausing for people at the SS parking crosswalk. Finally turned left on 12 North to rejoin the rest who had waited patiently to be where they were.

Hopefully I have regained credibility. This is how it happens way too often.

Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Best shortcuts on OBX!

That too!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
443 posts
5. Re: Best shortcuts on OBX!

My response was flippant, but the real thing is I doubt very few people researching a vacation on tripadvisor are going to be the bad actors. More likely it was some twit trying to follow an alternate route on the GPS or Waze app giving no regard to anyone else. SS has no monopoly on these people.

Edited: 16 August 2015, 08:12
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Best shortcuts on OBX!

Good point. I am sure you see more than your share in the nation's capital. The real issue is that the OBX desperately needs another bridge from the Currituck county mainland that connects in the Corolla area. Many of these weary travelers have waited hours to travel 10-15 miles. The towns of Southern Shores and Duck are paralyzed by stalled traffic and safety is compromised by people desperate to find a shorter route to their destination. From a TripAdvisor perspective, I probably should suggest some alternatives. Sadly, until another bridge is built or people tire of the traffic situation to the point of vacationing elsewhere, this problem will continue.

Duck, North Carolina
Level Contributor
229 posts
7. Re: Best shortcuts on OBX!

Maybe you should post the address of whomever people should write/email to plead for the Currituck bridge to be built. :)

MD
Level Contributor
841 posts
25 reviews
8. Re: Best shortcuts on OBX!

As a resident in Southern Shores, I wonder if there are community forums into which you could interject some simple solutions that would go along way toward alleviating the backups in Duck.

1. Have all rental agencies mandate keyless entries.

There's a lot of homes in Corolla that have to check in to an agency in Duck. So they arrive early and have to park in Duck killing hours until their place is ready. It also increases pedestrians going back and forth across the roads, which further impacts traffic. Even Duck renters have to do the same thing. Keyless entry and exit means no stopping at the agency. All of the cars leaving won't have to stop, alleviating a lot of the in and out of parking lots, particularly when heading in the opposite direction ... really snarling traffic. And those arriving can head up to Corolla to wait.

2. Route 12 pedestrian cross overs.

How much traffic is tied up waiting for people to cross the road . . . a lot. And it's dangerous. Combine that with check in and check out and people are running back and forth unnecessarily and traffic has to stop for them.

3. Route 12 contouring and drainage.

Every time it rains, route 12 floods and it shouldn't. Any engineer can come in there and design a better system without having to expand the road. I've been caught in a number of backups due to 12 inches of water on route 12.

4. Public access beach with changing/restrooms.

Get the county to establish a public access beach for waiting rentals. Provide facilities for them to use and allow hot dog vendors to make a living. Charge a fee, who cares. If you make it before Duck, all the better, like all along HillCrest or something like that - I don't know owners or politics, just using Google to find a road with no homes on it that could accommodate parking and facilities. Think how much pressure that could alleviate off of route 12.

I'd bet all of those changes could be done for a fraction of the Currituck Bridge costs and could probably be done by next summer.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
136 reviews
9. Re: Best shortcuts on OBX!

"Hopefully I have regained credibility. This is how it happens way too often."

I knew you were in SS, but it sounds more like they were lost than going for a shortcut and up Trinite would not be a very good one since it comes out on Chickahawk and not father up like 11th or 13th which is more the goal for many trying to find a shortcut.

I wish they would add another lane from the end of the bridge to just past Home Depot and the visitor center. At least that way people going to Kitty Hawk to Hatteras would be able to skirt around those sitting and crawling to get on rt 12 north and so the traffic back up over the bridge would be reduced by a huge amount. It would not help Duck and Corolla people at all, but everyone else would be better off on Saturday.

Edited: 18 August 2015, 05:54
north carolina
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
22 reviews
10. Re: Best shortcuts on OBX!

I hear it all the time "that's the price you pay for living in paradise" :) Only mine is not the traffic but rather when hurricanes come across Core Sound.

Get answers to your questions about Corolla