We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip from S.E. Massachusetts

Boston
Level Contributor
73 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Trip from S.E. Massachusetts

We will be driving down for the first time from S.E. Mass and plan on leaving about 4 A.M. We will make the trip in 2 days and wanted to spend Friday night in the Chesapeake VA area, so we won't have far to go on Saturday morning. I know it's a 10 hour drive to Chesapeake (without stops or traffic!). Is this crazy to try to do so much the first day? We are all adults, so there will be no cranky kids in the car (though I can see there may be some cranky adults!).

Any suggestions for places to stay for the night in Chesapeake?

Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
440 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip from S.E. Massachusetts

You might want to stop in Exmore VA. There are a couple of hotel chains there. Now since you are all adults, there is the Sunset Beach Inn just before the CBBT https://www.facebook.com/SunsetBeachInn. The place is super campy like the land that the 70's forgot, but there is a cool tiki bar for some good times,

Edited: 07 August 2015, 10:08
Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip from S.E. Massachusetts

If you make it to Chesapeake ALL the major chains are right around the Greenbriar exit..... Easy on and off to get to the beach.... My personal suggestion is to then leave VERY early in the morning and have a nice day in Corolla.... buy a disposable cooler if you need to or just eat out, but the earlier you get up to Corolla the happier you will be. This was our first year of renting after owning for 8 years on the OBX.... we got a Sunday to Sunday rental so as NOT to deal with the madness.... It can take 3 hours AFTER you cross the bridge if you wait until 11-3 or so..... Good luck....

Some photos and notes: www.obxtravels.blogspot.com

Have a great vacation.....

Boston
Level Contributor
73 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip from S.E. Massachusetts

Thank you both for your responses -

Lance M - I like your thinking regarding the tiki bar (which I'm sure we would all enjoy after such a long time in a car!), but we are leaving Friday of Labor Day weekend and there are no rooms.

GinnyM M - Appreciate the tips and link. "If" we make it to Chesapeake? I guess that was basically what I was asking in the post. Is it a mistake to try to do so much in one day? We do plan to be up and on our way early Saturday morning, even though we can't check into the house until 4. We will just be so anxious to get there (and avoid as much of the traffic as possible!)

We are so looking forward to our first trip to OBX!!!

Boston...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip from S.E. Massachusetts

Im from Boston and lived in Chesapeake for about 15 years... After doing that drive what feels like millions of times... I would suggest that you take route 13 instead of 95/DC/VA it truly does save a lot of time... i think i was down to a little over 8 hours... Im actually headed to Nags Head from Boston tomorrow... can't wait to sit and do absolutely nothing!

Boston
Level Contributor
73 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip from S.E. Massachusetts

Thanks Shireese! Not great on routes but we are having AAA do a trip-tick for us and we told them we wanted to go via Delmarva Peninsula. Is that Rte. 13?

Have a great trip to Nags Head! Are you driving?

conn
Level Contributor
3,611 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip from S.E. Massachusetts

You might want to consider stopping in Dover

boston, ma
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip from S.E. Massachusetts

Flying into Richmond on Sunday morning - hope to be on the road to Corolla by 10-10:30 from Richmond - what can we expect for traffic on that day?

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip from S.E. Massachusetts

You've now introduced a new element.... driving from Richmond ..... my daughter lives there and ONLY drive route 460 to get to see us (in Chesapeake) from May through October.....

9. Re: Trip from S.E. Massachusetts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2016, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Corolla