We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiking to see horses in corolla,nc?

Sandusky, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
hiking to see horses in corolla,nc?

My family (w/2 older teenagers) are visiting Corolla, NC in early April. We don't have a 4x4 for the beach. Is it possible just to hike (for a mile or two) to see the horses if we go to the farthest north parking area, or would we definitely need to book a 4x4 tour?

nc
Level Contributor
492 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: hiking to see horses in corolla,nc?

I would say it's possible but not likely that you would see the horses so close to the access ramp. Go for the tour!

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: hiking to see horses in corolla,nc?

I Agree with obxmaslin you might have to walk several mile to see them,they are not on the beaches all the time but back over the dunes .

Nags Head, North...
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: hiking to see horses in corolla,nc?

We were up that way last week. We saw 2 horses on the dune line and 1 on the beach about a 1/4 mile off the ramp. If your family is in to hiking...I think that would be a wonderful adventure.

Florida
Level Contributor
420 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: hiking to see horses in corolla,nc?

Heading to Corolla tomorrow and we have a 4 wheel drive. I am trying to find recent info on how we can drive it ourselves but not having much luck. Any pointers would be much appreciated. Thank you!!

Level Contributor
1,140 posts
63 reviews
5. Re: hiking to see horses in corolla,nc?

Go to Oregon Inlet Idiots Facebook page and read the tips for driving on the beach. You do not need a permit for driving on the beach north of corolla, because the beach is the road.

AIR DOWN YOUR TIRES BEFORE GOING ON THE BEACH. and check your vehicle clearance underneath. Do read the tips, and bring cash in case you need to pay for a tow.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
445 posts
6. Re: hiking to see horses in corolla,nc?

Add towstrap, shovel and board for a jack. Carova is different than most beaches, the traffic is from the high tide line down where the packed sand is and is considered "the road". The worst areas are the ramps that lead up to where the cottages are, they can be really soft. If you are driving the sand roads around Carova, do not drive through the big puddles you see. Some are so deep they will swallow the truck.

7. Re: hiking to see horses in corolla,nc?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2016, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Corolla