We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corolla in June 2011 - Smooth Sailing

Lockport, NY
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Corolla in June 2011 - Smooth Sailing

I've always wanted to visit the Outer Banks, and I've been thinking of making it my vacation destination in June. There will be two of us, possibly four, so I was looking for a smaller cottage to rent for the week. I found Smooth Sailing in Corolla on this site, and was wondering if anyone could give me any more input on location, etc.. I read that you need a 4x4 to get to it, which is no problem, however was wondering about air pressure in tires? They say you have to let some air out to drive on the sand. I'm unfamiliar with driving on sand, my 4x4 experience has unfortunately been in the snow! How do you let the air out, and how do you put air back in to drive back on the pavement? Are there places that have air available? Sorry for my ignorance! Any advice anyone might have on this cottage, or my "air pressure" question would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,800 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corolla in June 2011 - Smooth Sailing

To let out air you remove the cap on the tire stem and push the schrader valve with your finger nail or a pen tip. You will hear the air coming out when you do it. You will need a pencil type tire gauge to know when you get down to 20-22 psi in each tire. You can drive on those under inflated tires on the pavement for a good long time so you won't need to inflate and deflate the tires every time you leave the 4x4 area. There is an air source where the road ends or at any gas station and at some rental offices up there. Be sure to bring other items you hope you won't need like a very strong rope or chain for when you get stuck and a shovel. You will find that you will not want to drive back and forth to Corolla much so make each trip count.

BTW, a 4x4 is better than an all-wheel-drive car up there but I know people who use small compact front wheel drive cars.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corolla in June 2011 - Smooth Sailing

Very important is tide schedule, one of those important looking 'flashlights', and a shovel just in case.

alexandria
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corolla in June 2011 - Smooth Sailing

Be forewarned, vacation rental homes on this site are paid for through a service called FlipKey. Only businesses who pay can put their vacation rentals on here and FlipKey reviews shouldn't be trusted.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Corolla in June 2011 - Smooth Sailing

I would do a search on this site for beach driving, and the 4x4 area. There have been many posts about this, and some have really important, and good advice about driving up there. It's tricky, and different from snow in many ways, but if you read a few posts and get the basics you'll be fine.

Not sure about the reviews here, I've never used them. You might try a Google search for the home. If it's not with a rental co. here, it may be on VRBO, or a similar site.

5. Re: Corolla in June 2011 - Smooth Sailing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2011, 14:15
Get answers to your questions about Corolla