We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Esmeralda Inn, Lodge on Lake Lure, or Carter Lodge?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
37 reviews
Esmeralda Inn, Lodge on Lake Lure, or Carter Lodge?

Has anyone stayed at more then one of these locations for a fair comparison? I have never been to the area before but am thinking that I need a day to see Chimney Rock and do a Lake Lure boat tour. Any other suggestions?

5 replies to this topic
Chimney Rock, NC
2 posts
1. Re: Esmeralda Inn, Lodge on Lake Lure, or Carter Lodge?

I live in the area and have never stayed at either 3. However, I've heard nothing but great things about all 3 from friends and family that have stayed or from patrons where I work. But I can advise location wise. Esmeralda Inn is on the Chimney Rock/Bat Cave line and isn't that far a drive from "Main Street" Chimney Rock. Its a beautiful Inn with lots of charm.

Carter Lodge is located along the Rocky Broad River on the Chimney Rock/Lake Lure line and you can walk to "Main Street" Chimney Rock (and the closest to the entrance to the state park which I would also recommend) and the Lake Lure Boat Tour is LESS THAN 5 minutes away if you drive.

Lodge on Lake Lure is located about 15 minutes away from the Lake Lure Boat Tour and would be the furthest away from Main Street Chimney Rock, The Park and the Boat Tour. But it is also a beautiful location.

All places have very friendly owners, great staff and charming rooms. If you are open to B&B's the Riverhouse is also another great lodging option as are the Four Seasons Cottages and Arbor Cabins! I hope you enjoy your stay in our area!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
37 reviews
2. Re: Esmeralda Inn, Lodge on Lake Lure, or Carter Lodge?

Thank you so much! I looked at Riverhouse but for some reason it will not work for our dates. I will check out Four Season's and Arbor as well.

I did notice that Esmeralda is only one with a jacuzzi, but Carter House has the river rushing nearby..

Great things at all 3 places. So difficult to decide!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
37 reviews
3. Re: Esmeralda Inn, Lodge on Lake Lure, or Carter Lodge?

Sorry to bother you, but I have a few more questions. I noticed a condo to rent at Rumbling Bald resort. Can you give me an idea how close or far away that is from Chimney Rock? I am also wondering if there is only one Lake Lure Boat tour? Is there a town to visit at Lake Lure- or the town of Chimney Rock is more the one to explore? THANKS AGAIN FOR YOU HELP!

Chimney Rock, NC
2 posts
4. Re: Esmeralda Inn, Lodge on Lake Lure, or Carter Lodge?

Sorry it took me a few days to see this. Its no bother! I'm happy to help. Rumbling Bald is about 15-20 Minutes from Chimney Rock. Its on the other side of the Lake and while the town is working on opening a more straight shot road, visitors currently have to drive around the lake to get to Chimney Rock. As far as I am aware there is only one Lake Lure Boat Tour but there are rentals available. Lake Lure doesn't really have a "Main Street" per se but in the area where Morse Park and the Public Docks are (also where you find the Lake Lure Tours) There is a beautiful Flowering Bridge https:/…lakelurefloweringbridge that is just a little stroll away from the docks. And if you come after memorial day the beach will be open (which is also located in that same area) All of these areas are close to the Chimney Rock Line.

I will say that Rumbling Bald does have a lot of amenities such as a beach and golfing. The area Chamber of Commerce is a fantastic resource for the many fun things you can do in the area. http://hickorynutchamber.org When are you planning to visit?

Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
5. Re: Esmeralda Inn, Lodge on Lake Lure, or Carter Lodge?

Evening shade in chimney rock is the best place to stay there

Reply to: Esmeralda Inn, Lodge on Lake Lure, or Carter Lodge?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chimney Rock