We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how often is route 12 closed after storm surges

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
102 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
how often is route 12 closed after storm surges

Looks like hurricane matthew is going to come close to the outer banks. might not hit it but could very well produce storm surge. Can anyone tell me how often is route 12 closed after fairly big storms and how long does it take to reopen. I live about 10 hours away and I am suppose to be in my vacation rental this Saturday. matthew is suppose to come near on sunday however. I want to start driving sunday am, but not sure if I should even start out.

don't want to miss more than Saturday or sunday....

I need good advise....

should I just reschedule if that is possible.

signed.. severely depressed!

20 replies to this topic
Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
3,052 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: how often is route 12 closed after storm surges

If you are supposed to be here tomorrow - Saturday - then stay home and get here later in the day Sunday. If the road is closed stay in Nags Head a night or two or all week. Saturday from 2 pm until Sunday noonish there will be 30-40 mph E or NE winds and that almost always means overwash. It would be open by monday morning if not sooner as long as there is no damage.

Edited: 08 October 2016, 04:48
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
440 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: how often is route 12 closed after storm surges

Not a great beach day forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php…

Sunday: Tropical storm conditions expected. Showers. The rain could be heavy at times. High near 73. Northeast wind 39 to 49 mph, with gusts as high as 65 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between 2 and 3 inches possible.

If those winds start coming from the NW you can get sound side flooding in Frisco, I would check conditions before heading out.

Woodbury...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: how often is route 12 closed after storm surges

I rent the same house in Frisco every year and was there this year when Tropical Storm Hermine came through. Route 12 through Frisco flooded VERY quickly from the soundside and the water was knee deep on the roadway in many spots. We realized what was happening and moved our cars to higher ground before the water came up and flooded our yard and driveway. Many others weren't so fortunate and had their cars flooded (and subsequently totaled) by immersion in salt water. My advice: WAIT. If Route 12 floods (likely), you may not be able to get to your rental anyway, but it's simply not worth the risk of damage or loss of your car.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
376 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: how often is route 12 closed after storm surges

WE arrived the day after Hermine- still were restoring power for several days and ocean angry for a few days as well- lots of sand on 12- we were lucky as our hotel had power-

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
440 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: how often is route 12 closed after storm surges

This is from Oregon Inlet Idiots facebook page so I don't know if it will come through. But the water is up to the windows at Rocco's in Hatteras https:/…

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,674 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: how often is route 12 closed after storm surges

Karyn, I hope you didn't go. Check out Oregon Inlet Idiots page for what it looks like now: https://www.facebook.com/oregoninletidiots/…

Lots of water lots of places. Cars covered, coming into businesses, etc.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,674 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: how often is route 12 closed after storm surges

OBX200, hope you're safe and dry.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,674 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: how often is route 12 closed after storm surges

https:/… : Current conditions for Hwy 12

Edited: 10 October 2016, 09:32
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,763 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: how often is route 12 closed after storm surges

Whoa!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
102 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: how often is route 12 closed after storm surges

i didn't risk it. we stayed about 2 hours away just in case it wasn't as bad as they said it could be... it was. cant get in till after Wednesday. we went home Monday morning and rental company did finally agree to switch weeks. they just wouldn't do that till we already drove 6 hours down.

oh well, I know the route now! hope rental is still good. have not heard differently yet.

thanks all

Reply to: how often is route 12 closed after storm surges
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Buxton