We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how often is route 12 closed after storm surges

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
102 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
how often is route 12 closed after storm surges

Looks like hurricane matthew is going to come close to the outer banks. might not hit it but could very well produce storm surge. Can anyone tell me how often is route 12 closed after fairly big storms and how long does it take to reopen. I live about 10 hours away and I am suppose to be in my vacation rental this Saturday. matthew is suppose to come near on sunday however. I want to start driving sunday am, but not sure if I should even start out.

don't want to miss more than Saturday or sunday....

I need good advise....

should I just reschedule if that is possible.

signed.. severely depressed!

20 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how often is route 12 closed after storm surges

Check Facebook page for NCDOT NC 12. NC DOT updates road closures and conditions especially after storms. There is equipment positioned so any repair work can start as soon as conditions are safe.

Just an fyi, some of the most beautiful beach days I've ever seen are the days after a hurricane passes!

Level Contributor
1,140 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how often is route 12 closed after storm surges

Also keep checking Facebook page for Oregon Inlet Idiots. The admins are local and local folks will be posting pictures and info.

Check the storm track Friday night and see if you will be safe to come Saturday. The models keep saying it's going to take a right turn, but exactly when and where is the question. Call the rental company and see what they have been advised.

Edited: 07 October 2016, 05:33
Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how often is route 12 closed after storm surges

The answer is just about every time it is closed for some amount of time. Once the overwash ends they can scrape out the sand in a short time. What we are getting, and will get, are these Nor East like NE winds for 7 more days and that is just whipping up the ocean. All that would be needed are high east winds and we hope we are going to miss those. We will see some winds, but not as bad as ones as it passes over you. Been there and done that!

Edited: 07 October 2016, 05:51
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
102 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how often is route 12 closed after storm surges

bottom line is what exacly is "for some time" in regard to route 12 closing. I am willing to miss sat and sunday but want to be there by Monday am. decisions decisions

anyone else for some advise? 10 hour drive down to outer banks.

thanks

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,740 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how often is route 12 closed after storm surges

"anyone else for some advise? "

You mean other than, "Wait and see where the storm hits - and when"?

Nope.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,654 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how often is route 12 closed after storm surges

Where is your rental? Hatteras?

The facebook pages that Joy mentioned are good ones and will give you the inside info.

https://www.facebook.com/NCDOTNC12/?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/oregoninletidiots/…

It might not be a big deal on the OBX, but we'll all just have to wait and see. Not much else we can do. If it's closed, it's closed.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
102 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how often is route 12 closed after storm surges

frisco. person in one of the ems or sheriffs office said looks like it will be a tropical storm hitting now and they said personally they wouldn't show up till sunday pm or Monday am. they also said down there roads flood all the time easily.

rental office wont tell us not to come so they will still get their $$. I think I am screwed as rt 12 will probably be impassible for who knows how long.

my life or my week on vacation.... that is my option

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,088 posts
3,231 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how often is route 12 closed after storm surges

"my life or my week on vacation.... that is my option"

Karyn -- well stated, and thought out.

Sláinte

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,088 posts
3,231 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how often is route 12 closed after storm surges

We recall evacuating the 1991 Atlantic hurricane season, Hurricane Bob from Hatteras Island.

Left a day prior to "optional recommendation," and while Bob "brushed" Hatteras, who knew?

Sláinte

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,654 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how often is route 12 closed after storm surges

Will trip insurance pay if you have to postpone/cancel?

Personally I would wait and see. It's yucky weather here today in the middle of the state (just rainy). I wouldn't want to drive in it if I didn't have to.

Reply to: how often is route 12 closed after storm surges
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Buxton