We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry System question

Enfield, Connecticut
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry System question

We will be leaving Myrtle Beach on Friday morning 7/25. Drive to ?? to catch ferry to Ocracoke.

This costs about $15 and is about 2 hours. Need reservations. This info is correct? Will leave MB ealy in AM. Will try to book earliest ferry I can. Then I take a free ferry to Cape Hatteras. Any advice on making this a smooth trip would be helpful. Not sure if I should get at Swan Quarter or Cedar Island. Thank you!!

3 replies to this topic
Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry System question

Assuming you are taking a coastal Rt I would book on the Cedar Island ferry , Seeing you are coming on a Saturday I would recommend reservations. You need to be there at least 1/2 hr before departure They don't wait so be on time.

There is WIFI on the Ferry for entertainment or bring something to read it is a slow ride .Hatteras ferry there is non but it is only about an hour ride.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,674 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry System question

You make reservations through Www.ncferry.org . To get to the popular tourist spots of the Outer Banks, Nags Head, Kitty Hawk. Manteo, Wright Brothers, Lost Colony, etc, takes many many more hours via ferry than it does over the road. We love Ocracoke, but is very much out of the way from everywhere. If you've got a night or two to spend in Ocracoke it's a great place to relax and easily explored on foot or on bikes.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,674 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry System question

I don't know what the rest of your trip looks like, but I would recommend spending a night in Beaufort and then catching the Cedar Island ferry in the morning. Spend a night in Ocracoke and then proceed up the coast via the Hatteras Ferry. Check the advice on the website I gave. It has info on reservations and how early you need to arrive as well as the least crowded times to catch the Hatteras ferry.

Reply to: Ferry System question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Buxton