We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Nourishment

Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
Beach Nourishment

I know this forum is not super active, but in case you have not heard, Buxton is having a beach nourishment project completed this summer covering 2.9 miles of beach! While this will be great long-term, some of the dredging I know could affect vacation plans. Since details on exactly where they will be dredging when are scant right now (and I am sure subject to change) I am starting this thread so that as the spring and summer starts rolling around, anyone with information can contribute!

Mentioned in this post
Buxton
Buxton
Hatteras Island, NC
11 replies to this topic
Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
3,025 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Nourishment

The dredging, as you call it, will be out miles off the shoreline, so that is not a concern to visitors. They will be pumping sand on the beach and spreading it out with bulldozers and that will be what to watch out for. I don't follow that project, and I think it just was approved this week, and will be somewhere south of Avon Pier.

Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Nourishment

Yes. The project covers 2.9 miles and I believe the contract runs from May through the end of the year. Our hotel said the projected start is mid May....

In our case, we stay in an ocean front cottage so there is a chance we will not be able to access the beach right in front of our unit, but we should still be able to walk to the beach.

Knowing whether to expect bulldozers or not helps to set expectations heading into the trip. Hence my reason for this thread.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
12 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Nourishment

We're heading to Duck the last week of August/Labor Day Weekend, and the town website says that the nourishment is in mid to late May to mid to late July, so I *hope* it's done before we get there. Of course the town also puts in the caveats about it being weather dependent, etc.

https:/…

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
3,025 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Nourishment

They are starting in Duck and the project goes north of the pier, so I am not sure where your house is but they should be long gone by the time you get there. Enjoy the new WIDE beach they leave behind.

Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Nourishment

Anyone looking for updates on the beach nourishment project, can check here. The interactive map will show the areas where work is currently being completed as the project starts.

darenc.com/departments/…beach-nourishment

and here

darenc.com/government/…project-map

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
3,025 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Nourishment

This might be the place those other sites get this info from, but this is the main BN information site.

www.Morebeachtolove.com They have the most up to date news.

Edited: 12 March 2017, 00:38
7. Re: Beach Nourishment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2018, 13:00

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach Nourishment

BB1053, There is no telling what the schedule will be. If it was me I would look at what the cancellation policy was on the room(s) you have reserved at the Cape Hatteras Motel, they vary. If you had free cancellation I would go ahead and see if you could get a reasonable cottage in the nearby areas such as Avon, Frisco or Hatteras that would meet your needs and stay within budget. The typical suspects are Outer Beaches, Hatteras Realty and Midget Realty. Actually with young children you might like the cottage experience better than being right next to people in another room and it is probably not much more money

Mentioned in this post
Cape Hatteras Motel
Cape Hatteras Motel
298 Reviews
Hatteras Island, NC
Hatteras Island
Hatteras Island
Outer Banks, NC
Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach Nourishment

The links I gave above are the interactive map which once the project starts will show which areas are completed and which are still under construction....though I realize that may not give you enough time to adjust plans... Have you thought about calling the place you are staying and just asking? Usually the locals know more than can be found on the internet....

We have an oceanfront cottage reserved at Lighthouse View in August and are watching as well...

Re: MoreBeachtoLove...this is the same site the links I provided are from, its the main page that redirects to the interactive map and such.

Thanks for the info about it being unclear where they will start...I assumed they started at the northern end and worked south...

10. Re: Beach Nourishment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2018, 13:00
Edited: 03 April 2018, 13:00

Reply to: Beach Nourishment
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Buxton