We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to drive from Asheville to Boone

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
274 reviews
Save Topic
How long to drive from Asheville to Boone

Stopping at "look-outs" (Australian) and maybe taking a short walk along the way, how long should be expect it to take to drive from Asheville to Boone?

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
693 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How long to drive from Asheville to Boone

Hi Marj,

Haven't done that drive in a long time so I'll let others give you more precise feedback, but with several stops for photos and a short walk I'd probably figure on maybe three hours or so. It's a really beautiful drive. Be sure to stop at Mount Mitchell - the highest point in the eastern U.S. at 6,684 feet. The entrance to the park is right off the Blue Ridge Parkway, then you drive up the road to a parking lot at the end and there's a very short walk up to the summit of the mountain.

I see from your other post that you'll be traveling in May. Beautiful time. Enjoy!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,549 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long to drive from Asheville to Boone

I'd say 4-5 hrs if you're on the Blue Ridge Parkway, but you could make more stops and do more hikes and take all day and it would be well worth it. You could also bypass the parkway and do it in 2 hrs. That's about how long it takes driving straight on regular roads with a higher speed limit (55mph/88kph) vs the lower speed limit on the parkway (45 mph/72kph). So if you didn't stop at all I'd expect it to take about 2.5-3 hrs on the parkway. If you're gonna stop (which you should!) it'll take 3 hrs plus as many stops and hikes as you want to work in.

Here's a site with a lot of info on places to stop: asheville-mountain-magic.com/blue-ridge-park… .

hth

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,549 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long to drive from Asheville to Boone

Here's a blog page about riding a motorcycle on that stretch of the Parkway and stops they made: tailofthedragontours.com/BRP/part2.html . The Blue Ridge Parkway is paradoxically very popular with motorcyclists who get a thrill from the twists and turns and also RV enthusiasts.

This is the Blue Ridge Parkway.org site and it offers a listing of sites by milepost, but I don't think it's as informative as the motorcyclist's blog or the mountain magic site in my other post. http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/v.php?pg=827

You can download the National Park Services 2012 BRP newspaper, "The Milepost" from their website: http://www.nps.gov/blri/index.htm and it has lots of other good info too.

hth

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long to drive from Asheville to Boone

Thanks for that, I'll have a look.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
47 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long to drive from Asheville to Boone

Jumping in with a question about hwy 19 from Asheville?

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long to drive from Asheville to Boone

Also keep in mind that significant sections of the BRP are at or above 5000 feet elevation and even in summer there can be thick fog high up, especially in the morning, that will significantly slow your progress.

Drive safe!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long to drive from Asheville to Boone

It is a little over two hours and fog can, but should not be a problem

NC
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long to drive from Asheville to Boone

It'a 2 hour drive without stopping.

9. Re: How long to drive from Asheville to Boone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 02:18