We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overzealous parking tickets

Huntington, West...
Level Contributor
4 posts
73 reviews
45 helpful votes
Overzealous parking tickets

Went into BR on Friday at 1:00PM .. bustling town. Parking limited. Was directed to a City lot, free parking. Both lots were packed except for curb parking. Several curbs had no parking signs. Two did not. No yellow curb, no sign. About 6/8 cars parked on curb, one opened up, I parked there. Went into town, for 1:45 minutes, quick lunch anod dropped about 2K shopping.. return to a 25.00 tix.. no explanation why.. no signs saying no parking, no yellow curb etc.. just charge to park, I hate a bait and switch. principal to me.. won't return to this town..I'll head south to Asheville for my mountain trips, spend my money with folks that understand tourists are their livelyhood.

11 replies to this topic
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
9,879 posts
153 reviews
79 helpful votes
1. Re: Overzealous parking tickets

Did you happen to take a picture? You could mail it in to show no sign and object to the ticket.

There has to be safe and proper parking, but if no yellow line, no sign and other cars were parked there also, I might have done the same. Did you happen to notice if the other cars had parking tickets on them?

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
21,166 posts
95 reviews
64 helpful votes
2. Re: Overzealous parking tickets

I agree that a photo may help to fight the ticket. I'm going to the effort to go to traffic court to fight what I consider an unfair ticket. But in the scheme of things, a $25 parking ticket is not that big of a deal. You took the parking spot of a departing car, which is a normal thing to do. I would think it was "safe" to park there too. But I'm not sure that's "bait and switch". No one likes parking tickets, but it happens. I'd grumble a bit but not avoid an entire town because of a $25 ticket. I would be more careful in choosing a parking space next time. You could contest the ticket if it's worth your time and energy.

NC
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
154 reviews
87 helpful votes
3. Re: Overzealous parking tickets

Where exactly were you parked? In front of what store, restaurant, etc?

Huntington, West...
Level Contributor
4 posts
73 reviews
45 helpful votes
4. Re: Overzealous parking tickets

City public parking lot on Maple

Huntington, West...
Level Contributor
4 posts
73 reviews
45 helpful votes
5. Re: Overzealous parking tickets

Not worth time or energy... just will avoid an ant tourist town.. too many other options.

Carlisle...
Level Contributor
844 posts
25 reviews
17 helpful votes
6. Re: Overzealous parking tickets

Looking at the street on Google Maps, I can see why it's confusing. When the street is empty, as it is on Google Maps, it's clear the lines are not sized for parking. But if cars were already parked there, you wouldn't notice this. And no "no parking" signs or yellow paint in sight. It does look like it should be more clearly marked. Sorry you got caught up in it.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
10,197 posts
39 reviews
15 helpful votes
7. Re: Overzealous parking tickets

Did you park in a marked spot on the street on Maple? I see there are some. If so, I would definitely contest it.

https://goo.gl/maps/RU9CCeusT4m

If not, well, I wouldn't have parked where there wasn't a marked spot. Just cause somebody else did it and didn't get caught doesn't mean it's a spot. Maple is a very narrow street.

Huntington, West...
Level Contributor
4 posts
73 reviews
45 helpful votes
8. Re: Overzealous parking tickets

It was inside a surface lot. Not on Street

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
10,197 posts
39 reviews
15 helpful votes
9. Re: Overzealous parking tickets

Sorry you got pinged, but if it wasn't in a marked spot then I can see why you got a ticket. $25 is pretty cheap. If it was in a marked spot then you've got a good case for contesting it!

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
21,166 posts
95 reviews
64 helpful votes
10. Re: Overzealous parking tickets

Most times the reason for no curb parking is access for emergencies vehicles. But with no yellow curbing or signs, it's a mystery. I'd contest it.

Reply to: Overzealous parking tickets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Blowing Rock