We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diversity in Woodstock, Catskills & places to visit?

J N
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Diversity in Woodstock, Catskills & places to visit?

Hello,

Please forgive me if you read this post in another forum as I am trying to find the best place to learn information to my question.

First, I hope this email finds you well. Our family is interested in renting a home in or near the Catskills mountains in October for Columbus day long weekend and we heard that Woodstock and Saugerties (sp?) is a beautiful area to visit. We are a multi-cultural family (Latino, British, African American and Indian... yes, a mini-UN :) and would love to visit this area; however, given the sensitivity of race relations today, we want to enjoy visiting a location that is accepting and accommodating to all cultures. Unfortunately, that is not always the case when traveling to different regions in the US.

Please know, I have been told be a few people that the cultural diversity in this area is very low, but the people, settings, relaxation, and nature are beautiful. I truly hope its the case as I have identified a few great homes for us (8 of us ). It is unfortunate I need to ask this question these days; however, it's only because we want to enjoy the beauty of this wonderful area and feel comfortable (and welcomed) as well as others feel comfortable with our presence, as we respect this is not a vacation, but home to many. Trust, there are some places, even in 2018, we know we are not welcomed and do not visit those areas due to a couple of unfortunate past experiences (hence posting this question now).

Greatly appreciate if anyone has any insight and if ok, love to hear any recommendations on restaurants and best places to visit. Truly thank you in advance for your understanding and insight!

28 replies to this topic
fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
88 posts
250 reviews
1. Re: Diversity in Woodstock, Catskills & places to visit?

Hi I am bot a Woodstock expert but I was there four years ago.

This town is well known for having a plethora of local artists, hippies who retired and live there year round, tourists and New Yorkers with country homes.

it is one of the most liberal and left leaning(politically) small towns on the Northeast coast.

Although it might not be so ethnically diverse as Nyc or Philadelphia it is a very liberal place and I doubt that a mixed ethnicity family would feel odd there

By the way David Bowie, Bob Dylan and Jimmie Hendrix allvacationed there at various points in time

J N
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
2. Re: Diversity in Woodstock, Catskills & places to visit?

Oh thank you so much for replying! I was hopeful this was the case, it just looks so quaint, relaxing and I very much would like to go but one couple in our family was a little hesitant so I thought I would make an inquiry. I assumed after knowing the history of Woodstock from over the years it would be a nice place to visit but it is always reassuring to hear from those who live there or visited.

Thank you again!!!

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet, Truro, North Truro
Level Contributor
7,043 posts
250 reviews
3. Re: Diversity in Woodstock, Catskills & places to visit?

I didn't know that we were having serious race relation problems! And I certainly do not think that you would have any problems with people in Woodstock (or Saugerties).

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Diversity in Woodstock, Catskills & places to visit?

I can't imagine anyone saying anything to anybody anywhere in the country. Politics is one thing: politeness is what you find pretty much anywhere. You might think you would not be welcome in some places; but I believe you are wrong. I would not worry.

People warn me I would be attacked in many parts of the Bronx, but that hasn't happened to me yet, and I bicycle and walk everywhere. What's in the news is in the news because it gets viewers.

Franklin, New York
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Diversity in Woodstock, Catskills & places to visit?

Welcome to the Catskills region in advance.

The county in which I reside, Delaware County NY, is considered the Western Catskills. Delaware County is 96.5 percent white, and overwhelmingly Republican politically.

That being said, Delaware County is also an extremely peaceful and law abiding community which welcomes visitors of all background from all over the state, nation and the world.

One does not, in any conceivable manner, have to be 'liberal' in order to be welcoming to outsiders. Being from New York City (career) and Long Island (resident) I have found those locations to be much more judgmental about one's race, nationality, skin color, customs and culture than I have ever experienced here in upstate New York.

Delaware County, New York is a very welcoming place to visit, vacation or to move to later in life. The only 'prejudice" I have actually found is the lack of patience for the slower ways of rural people shown by visitors.

And by 'slower' I do not mean plodding or wasting time. I mean not in a hurry to get nowhere fast.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,510 posts
208 reviews
6. Re: Diversity in Woodstock, Catskills & places to visit?

Well put acefilmco ... and I love your little town.

Edited: 29 August 2018, 09:08
Franklin, New York
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Diversity in Woodstock, Catskills & places to visit?

It's like living in a Norman Rockwell painting!

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
8. Re: Diversity in Woodstock, Catskills & places to visit?

Being "diverse" is a loaded topic and people from white bread places are sometimes reluctant to acknowledge the discomfort. You will be looked at. You will be judged harshly. You are a representative of a land they do not know. I am lily white and have lived in Central Mexico for 14 years, many Mexicans are white and of German/French ancestry but I am an obvious foreigner. You will be fine but I sometimes cannot believe that people from lily-white places, or paint-dark do not recognise what is common for the "other" to see. I do get treated differently, I get judged. I speak the language here as you do in upstate. Just be polite and ignore comments, yes they do happen.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
20 reviews
9. Re: Diversity in Woodstock, Catskills & places to visit?

So glad Panch weighed in - I was having similar thoughts. I didn’t answer because I don’t know the area particularly well, and because, well, I’m white. But I was taken aback by the easy assurances that race/ethnicity is never an issue in the U.S. of 2018. I mean, my nephew (who’s Latino) had stuff thrown at him when we were vacationing in a small resort town (not in the Catskills, I should hasten to add). And I hear all the time from outdoorsy/nature-loving people of color in NYC about awkward or unpleasant encounters. They don’t let this keep them from going to places they love, and encouraging other people of color to experience nature, but yes, it happens.

Would have liked to hear responses from some people of color about their actual experiences.

Edited: 30 August 2018, 03:55
Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
10. Re: Diversity in Woodstock, Catskills & places to visit?

The racism in US is prevalent and hard to deal with. No upstate NY you are not clean that way. I have attended the International Boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota with luminaries who were typically insulted trying to check into their hotels. Same the baseball hall of fame in Cooperstown. Oh once they realise its a star the deal changes. No y´all up there - it is not good or decent.

Edited: 30 August 2018, 04:11
Reply to: Diversity in Woodstock, Catskills & places to visit?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Woodstock