We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quality snorkeling at Exmouth: The Post

CA
Level Contributor
680 posts
3 reviews
Quality snorkeling at Exmouth: The Post

We will be in Exmouth in December and have 1 free day for snorkeling. Seems like Coral Bay is the place to be and snorkeling at Exmouth part of the Ningaloo Reef is not very rewarding unless one can get to the outer lagoon by boat. We’ve snorkeled a extensively in tropical waters so am not sure if snorkeling in the inner lagoon will be worthwhile. Given our flight comes in too late for group tours, we’ll be snorkeling on our own. Any suggestions on where to go in Exmouth (preferably within walking distance) and what we can expect to see in December?

We’d love to go to Coral Bay but the cost of renting a car for a half day plus insurance is rather pricey. Any other ideas on how we can make it to Coral Bay for a snorkel? Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
68 reviews
1. Re: Quality snorkeling at Exmouth: The Post

Have you seen the Visitor Centre web site?

visitningaloo.com.au/our-region/ningaloo-ree…

You may well need to hire a car if you can’t match up with tours - if not for Coral Bay then even Turquoise Bay:

https:/…turquoise-bay

I’ve no first hand recommendations for closer quality snorkeling -others might.

However, you best bet is to contact the Visitor Centre who can help you with your specific circumstances and help you plan a memorable experience.

It will be hot and high UV so be sun smart.

Enjoy your holiday in WA!

CA
Level Contributor
680 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Quality snorkeling at Exmouth: The Post

Thanks for the links. I'll look into them then!

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
73 reviews
3. Re: Quality snorkeling at Exmouth: The Post

Gosh, the snorkelling we did just from the shore at Ningaloo was amazing. We went a few miles from Exmouth and just walked in! That's the beauty of Ningaloo, compared to the GBR, no boats required to have a fab experience.

CA
Level Contributor
680 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Quality snorkeling at Exmouth: The Post

Wow BellaHampshire, that sounds great. Did you go north or south from Exmouth? I assume you rented a car? Any chance you know where you went?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Quality snorkeling at Exmouth: The Post

Not been yet but staying at Mantarays in 2 weeks and evidently I can snorkel from the shore there.

There are shuttle buses to Turquoise Bay. There are also a tour company that does private tours that O got form the Visitor Centre before a friend decided to join me and will hire a car, so Imdidnt go ahead with the private tour option. They were going to include picking me up at the airport.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
73 reviews
6. Re: Quality snorkeling at Exmouth: The Post

I can't remember exactly where, but in the Cape Range National Park, and I think it took about 45 minutes to drive there. So it's on the west of Exmouth but the only road goes north then south down the west coast. Suggest you enquire at the Visitor Centre, as JeanPerth recommended, but we did have a car....

We swam with all sorts of fish, interacted with turtles and reef sharks (small ones!) - the water is so warm and clear and as good as anywhere else in the world we've snorkelled, although not quite the numbers of the Red Sea, still wonderful. I'd go back any day!

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
4,049 posts
90 reviews
7. Re: Quality snorkeling at Exmouth: The Post

ddame, have you looked at a map? Exmouth is on the coast facing east; the Ningaloo Reef is on the west coast. You need to travel north to the tip of the cape, west and then head south to get to Ningaloo. Exmouth is not on the Ningaloo Reef at all. There's nowhere within walking distance of Exmouth where you can snorkel and see coral.

Reply to: Quality snorkeling at Exmouth: The Post
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted