We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire from Kefalonia Airport

North Devon, UK
Level Contributor
74 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire from Kefalonia Airport

Fellow TA's,

Please could you advise me as a female solo traveler to Kefalonia on the 20th May a reputable car hire company, I want to hire a small car from the airport for one week, also directions to Agia Efimia would be most welcome.

I look forward to your advise.

Mentioned in this post
Agia Efimia
Agia Efimia
Cephalonia, Greece
19 replies to this topic
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
931 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire from Kefalonia Airport

There are many local car hire companies in Kefalonia, everyone has their favorite. We use Venus Car Rental and have done for some years. We collect it from the airport, and return it to same.Nice clean cars in good condition, and a good map to boot. As to directions to Aghia Efemia you will be driving through the mountains with wonderful scenery.If driving at night some care will be needed. No doubt Travelbob will give you a detailed set of directions when he sees your post, mine tend to be a bit to vague especially the bit through Agorstoli.

Mentioned in this post
Venus Hotel & Suites
Venus Hotel & Suites
1,291 Reviews
Zakynthos, Greece
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire from Kefalonia Airport

Hi,

Maybe try Greekstones? We used them a while back and they were great. Came to meet us, gave us a map and pointed out places of interest and directions. Lovely to deal with.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
11,407 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire from Kefalonia Airport

Hi Shaz,

There are no bad local rental companies but do read the terms and conditions regarding insurance excess as some do have a high excess whereas others have nil.

The following are a couple of those with zero excess..

www.pefanis-carhire.com/en/bookings/index

http://greekstones-rentacar.com.

Here is the turn by turn route we always use and is used by taxi drivers.:-

Follow the road uphill out of the airport (past the petrol station if you need it). Turn left at the T junction towards Lassi and Argostoli. Follow this road past the White Rocks Hotel and through Lassi. At the end of this resort the road curves gently uphill. At the crest of the hill there are two right turns. The first is very sharp; the second, which you need, is a newish road in front of the Avin petrol station. Follow this road for just under 1.5km to a T junction where you turn left and follow the road to the end where there is a triangular patch of grass. Fork right here and turn on to the main road. After about 1km there is a roundabout where you turn left (of course you go right around the roundabout! To the second exit). This road goes round the lagoon and after a couple of Km you come to a set of traffic lights. Go over these lights and follow the road round a bend to the right and past a couple of cemeteries on your right. You now have a choice. The more scenic route, but longer and for some, a worrying drive as it winds around the mountain; or a quicker route through the mountains.

For the first option just keep on this road until you reach Divarata, a village just above Myrtos Beach.

For the second quicker route, about 500 metres after the lights, where the main road turns left, you go straight ahead. It is signposted Agia Efimia and Fiscardo, continue to and through Dilinata. About 1.5 km after the village you pass a church/monastery(?) on a sharp bend and you are then on a wide “new” road through the mountains that takes you through Drakata to a X roads and Divarata

In Divarat if you came through the mountains you turn right. If you came round the coast road you go straight ahead. Follow this road all the way across the island to Agia Efimia. At one point you come to a possible fork. Make sure you do not fork right.

As you approach the village you come to The Pergola (great taverna) you have to turn right here and then first left because of the short one way system in the village.

Have a great time.

Bob

PS If you want to meet a really friendly English lady call into Spiros Taverna and ask for Wendy, who comes from Leeds,. She is a bundle of fun!

Mentioned in this post
Lassi
Lassi
Cephalonia, Greece
Myrtos Beach
Myrtos Beach
3,011 Reviews
Cephalonia, Greece
Agia Efimia
Agia Efimia
Cephalonia, Greece
Fiscardo
Fiscardo
Cephalonia, Greece
Leeds
Leeds
West Yorkshire, UK
North Devon, UK
Level Contributor
74 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire from Kefalonia Airport

Thank you so much Bob for your detailed driving route, I visited 8 years ago and can almost visualize thanks to your guidance where I'm going.

I will certainly try and catch up with Wendy.

I am also a walker, off the beaten track, do you have any suggestions for walking in the area I'm staying?

Shaz

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
11,407 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire from Kefalonia Airport

Hi again Shaz,

Send me a personal message and your email address and I will email you a copy of some leaflets and routes most based not far from Agia Efimia. It is just a copy of one I send to others.

Bob

Mentioned in this post
Agia Efimia
Agia Efimia
Cephalonia, Greece
Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire from Kefalonia Airport

Good lord, the coincidence! We booked Agia Efimia yesterday, and I thought I'd ask the car hire question - thank you for the detailed directions. One thing to add - is parking simple enough?

Many thanks, Colin

Mentioned in this post
Agia Efimia
Agia Efimia
Cephalonia, Greece
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
11,407 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire from Kefalonia Airport

Hi,

There are plenty of free car parks around the village. With some care (keep away from corners etc.) you can also park in most backstreets.

Seems a bit frowned upon to park in front of shops although if popping in to buy a few items it seems ok.

Also if you are a baker who has parked outside his bakery for the past 25+ years then that is ok.

Bob

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire from Kefalonia Airport

Crikey, well that'll learn me to book sooner -Pefakis fully booked.

All the others are nudging €190+, is that a standard sort of rate now? I've heard that many stories about excess charges on CDW I'm crippled by indecision now. We've always picked a local car up as we need it on other islands, but it seems prudent to book one for the week here.

Thanks for the walking info, BTW Bob.

Edited: 01 May 2018, 20:34
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
11,407 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire from Kefalonia Airport

Hi again,

Yes, some companies do have high excesses. I saw one that has an excess of around 1000€. If you paid extra you could reduce that to around 50€. However there does not seem to be a culture of hunting for small scratches and dents by the local companies. Just avoid Green Motion!!!

Star Villas in Agia Efimia are a good local company and they used to come and collect you from the airport if you booked for a week or more.

Google "Star Villas Agia Efimia"

Not sure about current prices as it varies so much according to car size, month etc.

Bob

Mentioned in this post
Agia Efimia
Agia Efimia
Cephalonia, Greece
East Kilbride...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire from Kefalonia Airport

hi bob comlng over in aug want to hire a car but only for 2 days tried a few hire companies on line but looks like the min is 3 days do you know any companies that would let me hire for 2 days thanks andy

Reply to: Car Hire from Kefalonia Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Agia Efimia
Recent Conversations