We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gonatas Hotel

Waddesdon, United...
Level Contributor
795 posts
94 reviews
Gonatas Hotel

Anyone stopped here, looking to see if it’s a nice hotel and what is nearby for 2 adults

12 replies to this topic
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,195 posts
89 reviews
1. Re: Gonatas Hotel

Hi,

It gets good reviews. It has been used by Thomas Cook for years. It is also on Anna Votsi's website.

kefaloniabyanna.com/web/…

The hotel is about a 5 minute walk from the centre of Agia Efimia. The village has about 10 tavernas and half a dozen cafe/bars. There are three supermarkets, and a couple of bakeries as well as a pharmacy, butcher's, post office and several tourist shops.

You can take a boat excursion from the village or rent a dayboat to explore the small beaches and cover to the north of the village.

A car would be a good ides

You are about a 15 minute drive from Melissani cave or Myrtos beach and another 5 minutes and you could be at Antisamos beach or Assos and it's Venetian Fortress. Also the deserted ruined village of Old Vlachata.

There are walks from the village up into the hills behind.

There is a bus into Argostoli but you have to return early afternoon as, based on last year, the last bus back leaves Argostoli at 13:00

Hope this is some help.

Bob

Waddesdon, United...
Level Contributor
795 posts
94 reviews
2. Re: Gonatas Hotel

Thank you Bob.

Just booked it.

Been to Lassi 3 times in the early naughties just after they had finished filming. Always said we would love to go back as I haven’t done Assos or been on the beach at Myrtos Beach so looking forward to having a car and getting out and about

Yammas

Mark

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,195 posts
89 reviews
3. Re: Gonatas Hotel

Be careful about swimming at Myrtos beach. When the wind is in the wrong direction swimming can be VERY dangerous.

Waddesdon, United...
Level Contributor
795 posts
94 reviews
4. Re: Gonatas Hotel

Yes read a few reviews about that. I have seen the beach from the top and got the photos. Just wanted to actually go down for a paddle lol

Waddesdon, United...
Level Contributor
795 posts
94 reviews
5. Re: Gonatas Hotel

Morning Bob

I will be looking at car hire any recommendations and costs for a week.

Cheers

Mark

Level Contributor
5,247 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: Gonatas Hotel

HI Mark, the car hire companies are listed in Top Questions at the top right of the Cephalonia forum

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,195 posts
89 reviews
7. Re: Gonatas Hotel

Hi Mark,

When looking at car prices always check the terms and conditions as some have a high excess that you can get rid of by paying extra, say 7€ per day. That adds quite a lot to the cost.

I use Pefanis as they have a no excess insurance. Their website gives low season prices so you will get an accurate quote by email. They meet you at the airport. They used to have an office in the airport but because of renovations it seems they will lose it.

www.pefanis-carhire.com/en/bookings/index

Greekstones is another no excess company.

greekstones-rentacar.com/english/company.htm

I suggest you avoid Green Motion

https://green-motion.pissedconsumer.com/ripp…

Have a great time.

Bob

Waddesdon, United...
Level Contributor
795 posts
94 reviews
8. Re: Gonatas Hotel

Thank you bob. Any other tips

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,195 posts
89 reviews
9. Re: Gonatas Hotel

Hi,

Our favourite tavernas in the village is The Pergola. Real traditional. Just out of the main part of the village on the road to Myrtos beach about 200 metres beyond the dive school.

Spiros is another favourite.

Out of the village beyond Gonaatas is Paradise beach tavernas. It used to be the best tavernas on the island but I think it has rested on its laurels. Great views but....... Others will disagree with me.lif you go to Melissani cave, afterwards continue along the main road into Karavomilos. You will come to a white goods shop on your right. Turn right here and follow the road into the hills to the ruined village of Old Vlachata. The road may well be signposted Saristra. There is a free festival there first weekend in August but otherwise it is a very tranquil place worth exploring. It was ruined snd deserted in 1953 due to an earthquake.

Bob

Waddesdon, United...
Level Contributor
795 posts
94 reviews
10. Re: Gonatas Hotel

Thank you Bob most appreciated

Reply to: Gonatas Hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Agia Efimia
Recent Conversations