We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taverna Megiavouno

England, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
283 reviews
Taverna Megiavouno

Hi, can I ask anyone who is in Agia Efimia now if they know if Taverna Megiavouno is open this year?

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,215 posts
89 reviews
1. Re: Taverna Megiavouno

Hi,

Is that the one up the hill on the way to Dendrinata?

If so I was told that it often only opened at weekends.

The best person to ask is Anna who lives in the village. There is an email address at the bottom of the page.

http://www.kefaloniabyanna.com/web/

She also is on facebook.

Hope this is some help.

Bob

England, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
283 reviews
2. Re: Taverna Megiavouno

Thanks for the reply Bob. I have e-mailed Anna and will let you know what she tells me.

England, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
283 reviews
3. Re: Taverna Megiavouno

Hi Bob, Anna has replied to me and her reply was that the Taverna is actually called Maklithari and it is located in the village square of Makriotika. Pictures on Tripadvisor look really good. They are open and they open each day after 6 pm. On Friday and Saturday they spit roast suckling pig and whole lamb or goat. As we will not be hiring a car looks like the only way up there for us will be by taxi - is the cost of taxis reasonable in Kefalonia? The journey time shown on google maps is approx 10 mins.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,215 posts
89 reviews
4. Re: Taverna Megiavouno

Hi,

I don't know the taverna but it looks good.

I expect the cost of a taxi to be about 10-15€.

Here is the contact details of a good local taxi driver.

Dimitris Liakopoulos (+30) 6948 521000

dim.kefaloniataxi@gmail.com

Don't worry about his surname just call him Dimitris. He works with a colleague called Makis. Dimitris can be found either in Gialos cafe/bar or in Spiros taverna where his wife works or at home babysitting.

Spiros taverna is lovely and our second favourite after The Pergola which is just up from the diving school

Have a great time

Bob

london
Level Contributor
2 posts
59 reviews
5. Re: Taverna Megiavouno

Hi there, Maklithari in Makriotika is indeed a lovely taverna. The spit roasts on Friday and Saturday are really recommended. If/when you go, the views over the valley towards Agia Efimia are gorgeous and so is the whole setting. It's a proper village restaurant, where they serve it all in their own time (read: it might take a while but it's worth it). Our yearly visits to Agia Efimia are not complete without visiting Maklihari...

bristol
Level Contributor
913 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: Taverna Megiavouno

It is in a lovely village setting and well worth a visit. Last year it cost us 5 euros each way from AE. We booked the return with the same driver who took us up. He said pay when I collect you. He actually had a drink with us at the tavern on the request of the owner because the owner of the taverna had just given us a dessert and we were not ready to leave.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Taverna Megiavouno

Hi all,

I asked a similar question about the Megiavouno Taverna on the 29th April and Bob asked Anna where it was and she said it was opposite the Alexatos Villas on the road up to Dendrinata so l am a little confused !!!

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Fiscardo
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Taverna Megiavouno

Yes, the earlier discussion here -

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g488…

Because of that discussion we made a point of looking out for it in May/June. We passed it a number of times, (opp Villa Alexatos) midweek and weekend and there was no sign of life, it looked quite overgrown but maybe was only due to open later in the season.

Edited: 02 August 2017, 22:09
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,215 posts
89 reviews
9. Re: Taverna Megiavouno

Yes,

I got confused. As the names are similar I thought Jongleurgirl was referring to the one up the hill on the road to Dendrinata.

As long as it is sorted.

Bit late for most of you but will check out both in early September.

We used to frequent Makriotika many years ago when the square hosted two different tavernas, one at each end of the square. Never bothered to find the names!

Bob

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Fiscardo
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
30 reviews
10. Re: Taverna Megiavouno

"As long as it is sorted"

But is it? Conflicting replies from Anna as outlined in post 7.

Get answers to your questions about Agia Efimia
Recent Conversations