We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise ship transfer to Oia via Speedboat

Canada
Level Contributor
248 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise ship transfer to Oia via Speedboat

Our ship will be in Santorini from 1pm to 8pm, along with another ship that arrives the same time. I heard the lines for the cable car can be horrendous, and that the speedboat is a much better option.

1. I read that the speedboat takes 12 minutes to Amoudi Bay, and that there is a bus waiting (as part of the trip) to take the travellers up to Oia. Is that correct?

2. I also read that a bus ticket to Fira is also included. does anyone know how frequent this bus it to Fira? From Fira, would we then take the cable car back to the cruise dock? Is there a way to get back to the cruise ship via speedboat from Oia?

Any other comments or suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Amoudi Bay
Amoudi Bay
3,274 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
37 replies to this topic
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,677 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Cruise ship transfer to Oia via Speedboat

I don't know when they start for the year but it's all about the demand. My guess is that it starts when the cruise ships begin their seasonal visits.

Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Cruise ship transfer to Oia via Speedboat

Thank you.😊

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,627 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Cruise ship transfer to Oia via Speedboat

Are there any private tour/transfer companies that can also get you back to the cruise ship docking area from OIa?

It looks like i am seeing one excursion on one cruise ship that does state, departs and returns at Althinios Port. I am assuming that this will still be a valid, current, excursion. But, even if so, it is a short excursion, with much of the time on the sightseeing coach.

Edited: 12 March 2018, 03:34
Mentioned in this post
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,677 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Cruise ship transfer to Oia via Speedboat

"Are there any private tour/transfer companies that can also get you back to the cruise ship docking area from OIa?"...............................No. Athinios is a different port than the one used by the cruise ships. There is a road to Athinios so tour buses can pick up those who have signed up for the ship's tour. Independent "cruisers" are not taken there. Instead, they're tendered ashore to the Old Port, Skala, where they will either take the cable car up the cliff, walk up the steps, or take the water taxi to Oia.

Mentioned in this post
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Skala
Skala
Cephalonia, Greece
U.S.
Level Contributor
3,627 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Cruise ship transfer to Oia via Speedboat

Thank you, perhaps I am seeing some old info that does mention the water taxi. One reputable looking web-site and one tour operator in particular.

I am aware that, basically, cruise ship excursions are the only passengers who ferry over to Althinios. And, even then, it seems that they just drop you off at Fira, to make your way beck to the ship.

I hate to have to forgo Santorini because of some major 'true' vertigo.

While I understand the systems and limitations, this truly is a problem.

Edited: 12 March 2018, 06:32
Mentioned in this post
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Cruise ship transfer to Oia via Speedboat

I'm going to Santorini in April and I'm planning to take a boat from the tender port to Oia. I read that you bought your tickets online from Aegean Travellers and there was some confusion. Do you care to share what the confusion was as I was planning to book tickets online from Aegean Travellers. Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,677 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Cruise ship transfer to Oia via Speedboat

It's not at all necessary for you to buy your tickets in advance.

Darwin, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
28. Re: Cruise ship transfer to Oia via Speedboat

Hello we are on a cruise ship arriving in Fira in August 2018, it would be appreciated if someone could confirm if the speedboat transfer to Oia is operating.

Mentioned in this post
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,677 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Cruise ship transfer to Oia via Speedboat

I asked a Greek friend who has lived on the island his whole life and he said yes.

British Columbia
Level Contributor
906 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Cruise ship transfer to Oia via Speedboat

great info thank you- ill be there in June so ill post back.

Edited: 03 May 2018, 07:49
Reply to: Cruise ship transfer to Oia via Speedboat
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted