We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens to Santorini?

USA, Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Athens to Santorini?

Traveling in July from Athens airport to Oia, Santorini, what is best way to get there? Boat? If boat, how long is ride. Or are there flights

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
15 replies to this topic
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,677 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens to Santorini?

Ferry: 5-8 hours depending on the ferry and route.

Flights from ATH to Santorini (JTR) take 30 minutes: Aegean Airlines, Ryan Air

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
107 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens to Santorini?

Flights are super efficient, fast and not expensive in my experiences (obviously depending on time of year and when you book).

New York
Level Contributor
588 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens to Santorini?

We opted for the ferry this past July from Athens to Santorini. Blue Star Delos was the ship. I wanted my kids to have that "ferry" experience and they loved it . Pulling up to Santorini by boat is breathtaking. We were in no rush as we were spending 5 nights in Santorini. It is up to you what you prefer and the time you have . Enjoy either way it is a beautiful island. We stayed in Perissa Beach after reading all the trip advisor reviews and we loved it . Even in July,it was crowded but manageable. There are many experts on the forum that give amazing advice!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Perissa Beach
Perissa Beach
4,948 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
14 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens to Santorini?

Boat woouls take 5-7 hours and is recommended if you have enough time on hand.

There are cheap and frequent flight options available from Aegean airlines. We used boat from Athens and Flight for coming back .

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Calgary
Level Contributor
656 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens to Santorini?

Just be aware that the total trip time (check-in, waiting for luggage etc.) makes the total time not that different. Nonetheless, for a straight shot ATH - JTR, I'd fly ( did fly)

Horsham...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens to Santorini?

We took the ferry from Athens to Mykonos then 4 days later another Ferry from Mykonos to Santorini. 5 days later we flew from Santorini back to Athens.

Flying is the way to go IMO. The ferry was neat but the 2-3 hour trip was enough. I could not imagine being on there for 7-8 hours. Again, IMO it would be worth the extra $50-$100 bucks to fly and save a full travel day.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Jurong, Singapore
Level Contributor
353 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens to Santorini?

Hi the ferry cost about the same as fight? I see one way two person around 130-140 euro.

new jersey
Level Contributor
457 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Athens to Santorini?

Hello, I'm planning on doing the same route but I'm coming from New Jersey, is it worthy more than 2 night in Athens and 3 nights in Santorini and 2 in Mykonos and the other 2 days to visit another Island like Oia? Planning a total of 10 days in September.

Thanks

Edited: 25 January 2018, 16:26
Mentioned in this post
Jersey
Jersey
Channel Islands, UK
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
16,139 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Athens to Santorini?

is it worthy more than 2 night in Athens and 3 nights in Santorini and 2 in Mykonos and the other 2 days to visit another Island like Oia? Planning a total of 10 days in September.

===========

That's too rushed for 10 days in my opinion.

You lose half a day each time you transfer to another island, by the time you pack-up, check-out, get to the ferry / airport and get to your next destination.

Two days is really one day of sightseeing.

Land in Athens. Fly directly to Santorini and recover from jetlag there. (Note: Oia is a village on Santorini - not a separate island).

Chose one other island. Mykonos is very popular, but Naxos may give more of a contrast. Read up on them both (or the other choices on that ferry route).

Leave Athens until the end of your trip to avoid any worries about flight / ferry delays prior to an international flight.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Oia
Oia