We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Zanzibar

Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Zanzibar

Hello!

I am planning on taking a trip to Zanzibar later this year and was just wondering what others have experienced there as far as safety. Ill be tavelling with my partner, not alone, and we will be there for 3weeks-1month.

We want to travel around most of the island including of course stone town, changuu island,the jozani-chwaka bay national park,

And possibly some other places to the north of Zanzibar. What I'd like to know is how safe it is to do most of our traveling via busses and taxis and also if it is safe in most areas to walk around, of course using common sense like not wandering around at night, keeping an eye on belongings ect..

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania
8 replies to this topic
Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
3,954 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Zanzibar

Zanzibar is safe you can visit different area without problem but at night it high recommended take a taxis

Mentioned in this post
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Stone Town, Tanzania
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Zanzibar

Peaceful island 🌴 Zanzibar work around without problems always we say HAKUNA MATATA

Mentioned in this post
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Zanzibar

Thank you for your advice! It sounds lovely, I'm excited to go!!

Edited: 15 May 2018, 12:30
Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
887 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Zanzibar

Me and my family are currently in Zanzibar for about 6 days now. We started our stay with beach side. We spent 4 days in Kendwa area and now finishing our 2 days in stone town before we move back to Arusha tomorrow.

All I can say, It is more than safe and peaceful, No politics ha ha ha!!!

For those who loves to use the chance of low season rates to enjoy nice accommodations, this is the right time. They only have to expect rains during the morning to late morning and from there they can enjoy their swimming to sunset. No more rains!!. This is what I have experienced. The temperature is amazing, No use/little use of AC and fans in the room.

For those who expect to spend some time in stone town, you can try to go for local meals at Lukuman restaurant. We had nice meals and fresh juices yesterday there. I love the place but it is a bit busy too.

Karibu Tanzania & Zanzibar.

Bright Safaris Team.

Mentioned in this post
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Kendwa
Kendwa
Zanzibar Island, Tanzania
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Padua, Italy
Level Contributor
27,976 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Zanzibar

@brightsafaris. The OP wrote that he will go to Zanzibar at the end of the year, so it's a high season and it will be very hot.

@Catlynnmice. Be calm. I go to Zanzibar every year (since 2004) and I travel alone; I use taxis for my visits to the various schools on the island and I have never had any kind of problem.

Mentioned in this post
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Zanzibar

Zanzibar is a very peaceful island, it is safe to walk around all day, but normally as any place in the world, it is recommended not to walk much at night, and it is better to take taxi when travelling at night.

Edited: 20 May 2018, 17:12
Mentioned in this post
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in Zanzibar

Thank you very much! I look forward to going

England, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety in Zanzibar

Yes it’s safe (looks dodgy) but it’s not went to most places and hand not one bit of trouble (apart from police wanting bribes if you driving your self )

Reply to: Safety in Zanzibar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Zanzibar Island