We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing the border

springfield, mo
Level Contributor
296 posts
31 reviews
Crossing the border

We are planning to cross from the US to Canada in a rental car on a Tuesday afternoon in early November. Then cross back to the US on Thursday morning. Are there generally long delays to cross the border or is it pretty quick? Is the border open 24 hours a day?

First time visitor, so any answers/suggestions you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
10,181 posts
48 reviews
1. Re: Crossing the border

Crossing times in November, and during the week, are generally pretty quick. All bridges are open 24/7.

And don't forget that you need passports to cross the border.

If you are staying in Niagara falls, ON, that forum is here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g15499…

springfield, mo
Level Contributor
296 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: Crossing the border

Thanks! I have only crossed land borders in Arizona/Mexico and those can sometimes be very slow or even closed at times, so I was just wondering.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,616 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: Crossing the border

Just make sure you have documentation from the car rental company giving you permission to take the car into Canada. There should be no extra charge for this. I've been asked for this once or twice on both sides of the border.

springfield, mo
Level Contributor
296 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: Crossing the border

Will do. I think we will be renting a car at the Syracuse airport. If anyone knows of any rental companies there that do or do not allow cars out of the US, that would be helpful too! Thanks!

West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
84,088 posts
103 reviews
5. Re: Crossing the border

Stick with one of the larger, multi-national, brand-named agencies.

Best Regards

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
261 posts
72 reviews
6. Re: Crossing the border

Tuesday afternoon you'll probably have no delay. Thursday morning, depending on the exact time, may have some minimal delays if you hit it during "rush hour" (there are cross-border commuters) - but this is typically minimal (5-15 minute wait).

7. Re: Crossing the border

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2018, 14:18
Get answers to your questions about Niagara Falls