We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night getaway near Catskills?

Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
One night getaway near Catskills?

My husband and I want to get away for a night and enjoy the fall foliage. Where would you recommend that has a nice downtown area as well?

7 replies to this topic
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,042 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night getaway near Catskills?

Many people like Woodstock. Too crowded and upscale for my tastes.

I like Margaretville; nearby Andes is also pleasant but it is a very small town with a lovely historic hotel and a few shops.

The excellent Peekamoose Restaurant in Big Indian (about 15 minutes south of Margaretville) is a great dining option.

Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night getaway near Catskills?

Thank you so much! This was very helpful.

New York City
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night getaway near Catskills?

hyde park

Windham, ny
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One night getaway near Catskills?

I may be a bit biased as we live in the area and run a B&B, but I particularly love the Northern Catskills. We're in Windham, which has a cute little downtown of its own - between that and nearby Hunter and Tannersville, there are dozens of great restaurants, art galleries and artisan shops. If you want a bigger downtown area to explore, Windham is just about 30-35 minutes from downtown Hudson, which is absolutely packed with unique shops and restaurants, not to mention great cultural and historical attractions like Olana.

Our area is particularly well-known for hiking - short hikes can take you to Kaaterskill Falls (arguably the tallest waterfall in NY), or scenic top-of-the-world views of the Hudson river and five states' worth of mountains. The views in the fall especially are truly spectacular - since we're at the top of the mountain range, you see miles & miles of foliage across the mountains and down into the valleys. There are plenty of farms, farmers markets, and farm-to-table restaurants, and great places to pick your own apples & pumpkins, try your luck at a corn maze, taste some freshly pressed cider, and other country fall traditions.

If you're coming from the city, you can easily explore many of the spots other posters mentioned on your way up & back - we often recommend guests go home via Woodstock, or on the other side of the river through Rhinebeck, Hyde Park, etc. It's a convenient and easy way to see a lot of the Catskills in a short trip.

Hope you have a wonderful time! Fall is our favorite time to be here by far, it's just beautiful.

Sarah

Innkeeper, Catskill Lodge

New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night getaway near Catskills?

I'll also recommend Windham. We visited in May after more than 10 years. It's small but a beautiful little town. Plenty to do to keep you occupied and a nice variety of good places to eat. I'd also say the same for Rhinebeck. I would say most of the towns in the Catskills you wouldn't be disappointed in.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,042 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night getaway near Catskills?

Hyde Park and Rhinebeck are not in the Catskills; they are in the Hudson Valley.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One night getaway near Catskills?

Please try Hudson, we have just come back from there, the town of Hudson is quaint with lots of shops antiques and alike etc. we stayed at the Mount Merino Manor and found it better than any 6 star hotel

Reply to: One night getaway near Catskills?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Catskill