We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catskills vacation

Lichfield
Level Contributor
87 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Catskills vacation

Hi,

We are heading for a four night stay in the Catskills near to Grahamsville, can you recommend any things you think we should consider doing in the area. We are a couple in our fifties, but fit and with a pretty young outlook on life!

Thanks in advance

Andy

2 replies to this topic
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,017 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catskills vacation

A few suggestions:

The drive along Peekamoose Rd. (County Route 42) off of NY55A near Grahamsville is scenic and will take you out to NY28A which circles around the Ashokan reservoir and is also scenic. There is a beautiful but cold swimming hole along the way (Blue Hole) if you are so inclined. Google it or ask a local when in Grahamsville if interested.

If you continue on NY55 towards Poughkeepsie, Minnewaska State Park is a beautiful place to explore. It is about a 30 minute drive from Grahamsville. If you continue on NY55 from there you will see a turn for New Paltz, which is a funky small college town with the oldest street in the country. It is about 15 minutes from the park. You can take a self-guided tour of this street (Huguenot) but I recommend a guided one (starts from the visitors center) if available. Also in the area is the Mohonk Mountain House, an estate-like property that many people love but is too pricey for my blood. There is an upscale restaurant, spa and hiking trails which can be used by visitors for a fee.

Near Liberty (just west - off NY17/I-86) in the town of Parksville, is a great place for a bite, the Rolling River Cafe. It doubles as an art gallery and they often have music. The road that it is on (County Route 47) is another scenic drive that will take you to Big Indian and NY 28. You can access Slide Mountain and Giant Ledge, two popular hikes, along this route. You could actually get back to Grahamsville by then taking NY 28 towards Kingston, NY 28A to Olivebridge and picking up the Peekamoose Rd/CR 42 (mentioned earlier) back to Grahamsville.

If interested in slots and harness racing, Monticello Raceway is a few minutes east off of NY17/I-86.

South of Liberty (about 30 minutes) is the town of Bethel, where the original Woodstock occurred. There is a big performing arts center there with regular shows and activities. I believe there is also a museum on site as well. A bit further south you would come to the Delaware River. NY-97 is the scenic road that follows it for many miles.

If you are willing to drive a little further, places like Kaaterskill Falls, Woodstock NY, Opus 40 quarry and the Catskill Mountain House trails are other options that I can think of.

Hope this gives you some ideas ... have a great time!

Edited: 25 February 2016, 12:00
Lichfield
Level Contributor
87 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catskills vacation

Thanks rjr this is such great help!

all the best

Andy

Reply to: Catskills vacation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted