We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing in the Finger Lakes (Canandaigua) from dock?

Middletown, Maryland
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Fishing in the Finger Lakes (Canandaigua) from dock?

My kids are looking for a summer vacation where they can do a lot of fishing from the dock of our rented house. The fish don't necessarily need to be big enough to keep or eat -- just want them to have a fun experience without sitting for hours only getting a nibble or two. Is this area good for that sort of activity or are the lakes too big and busy? What kind of fish can we expect to catch from the dock?

Thanks for the help!

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Fishing in the Finger Lakes (Canandaigua) from dock?

Any of the lakes would be good for fishing. Mornings and evenings are always the best times. You can expect to catch Bluegills, Pumpkinseeds, Rock Bass, Perch, and Large Mouth Bass primarily. Some of the lakes also have Crappy.

Middletown, Maryland
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Fishing in the Finger Lakes (Canandaigua) from dock?

Thanks so much for the info! Would a charter fishing tour on Canandaigua be worth the money (i.e. will we catch bigger fish that we could eat and do most of them offer the cleaning services?)

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Fishing in the Finger Lakes (Canandaigua) from dock?

Yes and yes. Lake, Brown and Rainbow Trout and larger Large Mouth and Small Mouth Bass would be among the edible species that you could catch on a charter. I forgot to add Bullhead to the original list, but they're not that much fun to catch and I prefer not to eat them. Some folks love them. Canandaigua Lake also has Chain Pickerel, which are fun to catch but not so much fun to eat.

Edited: 24 March 2017, 03:15
4. Re: Fishing in the Finger Lakes (Canandaigua) from dock?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2018, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Canandaigua
More Canandaigua Topics