We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Okavango Delta fly-0ver: timing and airsickness? Possible?

Lake Forest, IL
Level Contributor
116 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Okavango Delta fly-0ver: timing and airsickness? Possible?

Into VFA at 12:25 pm on March 14 and depart VFA on

March 18 at 10:25 am. Originally planned just a Chobe day trip but after more research sounds awesome to do a flyover and a night on a river boat. Not sure if either is possible to arrange (boat trips seem to be 2 nights), not sure if the charters that originate from Maun and fly over the falls actually land there (if so I would like to get on the plane there and avoid the land transfer to Kasane). I do tend towards motion sickness and dont like to take meds but would do so for this 'once in a lifetime' opportunity. Solo traveler, not a big spender but if could get a good value based on time of year or joining into a schedule that is already going (vs totally 'private') I would spend more $ than normal for me. Will be arriving from 7 nights Kruger on my first trip to South Africa and after that just 3 'scenery' based nights in CPT. Ideas, insights? contacts? This will be my second Round-the-World itinerary and am typically proficient at DIY, joining a day tour once I hit my destinations. Thank you for sharing your wisdom!

Mentioned in this post
Chobe National Park
Chobe National Park
North-West District, Botswana
Kasane
Kasane
2 replies to this topic
london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,686 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Okavango Delta fly-0ver: timing and airsickness? Possible?

"not sure if the charters that originate from Maun and fly over the falls actually land there (if so I would like to get on the plane there and avoid the land transfer to Kasane)"

Not sure I follow this- land where? At Vic Falls? Of course, anyone can charter a plane anywhere but there aren't commonly charters "that originate from Maun and fly over the falls". Mostly the charters are going out from Maun, dropping off and picking up around the various camps in the delta area, maybe on to Linyanti/Savute and might go out to Kasane or back to Maun. But I think most of the charter companies are based in Maun. Someone was posting recently about getting a scenic flight over the delta out of Kasane and were struggling- from the prices they were getting I think it sounded like they were getting charged for a plane to come out from Maun to Kasane, do a scenic flight and fly back, and I think they were a group of 4. So I don't think as a solo traveller you are going to find an affordable scenic flight over the delta out of Kasane even, but definitely not from Vic Falls.

I am also not sure you will get a single night on a houseboat either.

Re-reading your post it's not entirely clear what you want to do a flyover of. You mention Maun so I assumed the delta, but you don't say so and perhaps you mean a flyover of the Falls? In which case, there are helicopter trips from Vic Falls. There used to be fixed wing scenic flights many years ago but I haven't seen anyone mention them for a long time so I assume it's now only helicopters or microlight (from Zambian side).

Mentioned in this post
Kasane
Kasane
Lake Forest, IL
Level Contributor
116 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Okavango Delta fly-0ver: timing and airsickness? Possible?

sorry for lack of clarity. Looking to Fly over the delta - reading it is quite magnificent to see the scope from the air. There seem to be sightseeing tours that fly over both the delta and Vic Falls (originating from Botswana tho). I will be arriving and departing those 4 nights of my trip on the Falls side so if they happened to land there, that is where I would get on (i.e. the 'reverse trip'). Having watched the video of the microlight participants posted of the falls fly over, have decided its not for me. Same with the helicopter (motion sickness, price, safety) all make it 'not worth it' - the delta would be a different story, if it is at all possible. yes, I saw the comment re: the price but also some people who just did a walk in (Maun) and got a good price. Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Okavango Delta fly-0ver: timing and airsickness? Possible?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted