We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Retreats and Bank Transfer

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Retreats and Bank Transfer

Hello TA,

I am planning a month long trip to Bali for June/July this year, and I am looking for a yoga/meditation/spa retreat. Has anyone stayed at Inner Temple Retreats? Also, they are asking for the full amount of the retreat to be paid in full 6 weeks before the retreat start date through a bank transfer. Any thoughts on the safety of this type of transaction? From what I gather, bank transfers are common in Bali, but paying 100% upfront makes me uneasy.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
WV
Level Contributor
78 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Retreats and Bank Transfer

Hi-

I just had this same concern when booking a surf/yoga retreat. I don't have any answers for you, but I was uneasy and booked my second choice retreat solely on the fact that they would accept credit cards, while my first choice would only accept wire transfer.

Canggu, Indonesia
Level Contributor
284 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Retreats and Bank Transfer

Have you asked if they will accept PayPal? Or even if they have a credit card? Many scams at the moment where guests are being asked to pay in full up front via bank transfer. Be careful.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Retreats and Bank Transfer

Also be aware that if using Paypal for a 'purchase' such as this it will most likely be excluded from the Paypal Buyer Protection provisions.

Best read the Paypal disclaimers for info on that..

Several people who have been scammed have reported Paypal declining on the basis the transaction involved a failed delivery of an 'intangible service.

https://cms.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/…

https:/…

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
11,968 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Retreats and Bank Transfer

Hi Jessica: I looked at what I think is the website for this retreat, and I just wanted to remind you that anyone can make a website that looks good and put glowing "reviews" up from friends. I am not saying that THIS particular one is doing it. However, unless it's run by an established and reputable licensed organization that specifies the exact location and credentials of the organizers and teachers. I would stay away from it. The website is written in a way that tries to make it seem special, but from the point of view of someone who lives here, it's nothing special. You will get all of this in your run-of-the-mill hotel n Ubud.

There are yoga and meditation retreats galore in Bali, and you do not want to send hundreds of thousands of dollars up front to a place that does not even tell you where it's located... Bali is not as small as you might think, and location can make a huge difference...

P.S. They advertise an "ergonic" pool...what is that? Sorry, IMHO looks dodgy...

The well -established retreats in nice places like Ubud are the ones in places like Intuitive Flow

http://www.intuitiveflow.com/retreats/

Good luck, and don't think that just because someone advertises a Yoga or meditation retreat they are good people...I've met some real doozy Yoga retreat operators recently...one who is currently trying to sue a guest who wrote a negative review on TripAdvisor!

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
5. Re: Retreats and Bank Transfer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2015, 02:39
Edited: 06 November 2015, 02:39
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Retreats and Bank Transfer

Just revisiting this?

Has anyone been here or have any feedback? Is it real or a scam???

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Retreats and Bank Transfer

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I went to Bali and have returned just a week ago. I did not enroll in this particular retreat or any other for that matter. The operator did not have a credit card payment option, then wanted me to transfer funds in AUD then IDR, then USD was an option, then they found a way for me to pay by credit card. I just could not feel at ease with the whole thing as it was a lot of money up front and just too many issues for me to be comfortable with the whole thing. The retreat is actually in Canggu from what I have found. Fro the life of me, I cannot tell if this is real or a scam. Emma offered to talk to me via Skype (and take my credit card info that way), which I never did. I let her know that I was not comfortable with the way the situation was playing out, and she really honored that respectfully. I meant to visit the location to see what was going, but I was busy with my travels and did not make it out to that part of the island. I found other retreats that were comparable in price and services but with less deposit required, like Bliss Santuary. Taksu in Ubud looked lovely for a retreat, although still expensive. In the end, I just went with my gut.

What I learned was that it's not uncommon for prices to be advertised in Australian dollars (real estate is often sold in that currency), and operators will take whatever money you have on you for payment, although they prefer IDR.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Canggu
Canggu
North Kuta, Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
San Diego...
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Retreats and Bank Transfer

Thank you for your thorough response, j_hurcules!

Edited: 26 July 2013, 14:12
Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Retreats and Bank Transfer

In response to the comments in this posting, firstly to re-assure anyone interested in attending a retreat in Bali where Yoga, Meditation and Art are the focus activities, Inner Temple is a legitimate Retreat offering here in Bali. We operate in association with PT.Mandiri Anugrah Sejati. MAS Travel are a large and long established In-bound Tour Operator for Indonesia. The Inner Temple Retreats take place at several different venues depending on the size and needs of the group, which takes advantage of the already ‘overly built’ precious island and the many stunning villas that are readily available for rent here. It also allows our retreats to be offered a more competitive price than some other retreats in the Southern beach area of Canngu, Bali. Guests are always provided with full photos and address information before attending an Inner Temple Retreat. The testimonials on the Inner Temple Retreat website are 100% genuine. We now take payments via Paypal, PT.Mandiri Anugrah Sejati Bank Transfer or Eventbrite.com. Our booking terms and conditions are the same as many other Retreat Providers and are available for all to see on the website. If anyone would like further information please contact us via the contact form on www.innertempleretreat.com

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Inner Temple Retreat
Inner Temple Retreat
60 Reviews
Pererenan, Indonesia
10. Re: Retreats and Bank Transfer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2015, 16:29