We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Nights in Seminyak

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,933 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
7 Nights in Seminyak

Hi there.,.,. This will be my second visit to Bali, first was 37 years ago. The traffic was horrendous then, I can hardly bear to think what it is like now. We are 60 year old couple and decided we would not like to stay in a villa or a enclave, so we decided on Double Six at Semiyak. Ok our budget is already shot. Our primary reason to visit is to relax, however we also like to explore.

I have researched the forums and looked online, A few questions for you if I may.

1 With a spare 20 kilograms coming home, the wife loves art and loves to ferret around for materials for patchwork quilting. Is Ubud the right place for us to visit? I note there are several art galleries in Seminyak, are they the same as Ubud or more unique in their offering?

2 We won't be driving or scootering, where can we find good wholesome meals nearby , cafes restaurants, not into five star dining or inflated prices. We don't mind walking a distance. Care to suggest a few? Breakfast in the hotel is included in our tariff.

3 I am a landscape photographer and I have been researching photography tours. Any hidden gems to share?

I have also been researching a day trip to Nusa Penida though I am unsure depending on how many people visit I guess.

Appreciate your responses in advance

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Nusa Penida
Nusa Penida
Bali, Indonesia
7 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
907 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Nights in Seminyak

Hi surfoz,

Not sure re quilting but I know Ubud markets have lots of materials so I would think she would be able to source some goodies but maybe someone else can help you on that one also.

Double six have plenty of eateries nearby, all are pretty good! Make sure you check out Tommy's cafe for a cheap eat for breakfast or lunch and their killer iced milo 😊 You can find their location on TA if you them up.

The cavil bar on the beach is great for a sunset cheap dinner. Sitting on bean bags under small lantern lit colourul umbrellas whilst listening to the two piece band play all the while the hawkers are trying to sell their goods, is really wonderful and you will get some beautiful shots here especially at sunset.

If you can venture, Try Sanur out front of the 'oasis now' yoga barn near the Mercure and Padma on the beach for some spectacular sunrise shots.

Happy snapping 😊

Mentioned in this post
Tommy's Cafe
Tommy's Cafe
352 Reviews
Legian, Indonesia
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Padma Resort Legian
Padma Resort Legian
6,743 Reviews
Legian, Indonesia
Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,588 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Nights in Seminyak

If you fancy a trip up to Ubud the market in town and also Sukawati market will be good options for material. But there is a street in Denpasar that is known as "fabric street" which might also be good. There is also a very popular fabric shop called Alta Moda which you will find info via Google.

Dean is a very popular tour guide for those interested in photography.

https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Denpasar
Denpasar
Bali, Indonesia
Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,877 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Nights in Seminyak

Hello

Patchwork quilting, theres no shops as such that I know of however there are some lovely ceremonial sarongs that you can purchase in markets that are t my knowledge 100% cotton. Less than $10 last I looked.

There is also a shop just east of Bemo corner so you will need a driver, called Toko Central. There is a smaller one across the road.

They sell everything sewing and beading etc, your wife might find some things of interest in there.

There are some little local places to eat around 66 but usually tucked away.

On the exit street out, theres little lanes off that that house them. One is Warung melati, very delicious.

If you walk to the beach there are little resturants scattered, seaside one of them....not 5 star but not cheap as chips either.

Ubud is indeed for art lovers. Much to be found, however there is art scattered throughout and one art shop that I like is Syah in North Seminyak ( you are South bordering Legian) (google Syah art Seminyak). You usually meet the artist and they are very reasonably priced.

Gems for photography....Tegallalang rice paddies near Ubud.

Pacung and Bedugal areas.

Enjoy your trip.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 11:02
Mentioned in this post
Toko Central
Toko Central
28 Reviews
Kuta, Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
8,731 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 Nights in Seminyak

As per post 2, Dean is a great photographer and a fun guy to have a day trip with. Not the cheapest driver, but worth the extra. You could also consider Yande Ardana, although I haven't used him so can't personally recommend.

https://yandeardanaphotography.com/

Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
507 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Nights in Seminyak

I have brought back some lovely really big paintings for my boys. One was found in a dress shop on Legian road. Another was in a little hole in the wall shop in Nusa dua- I had thought I would get nicer and cheaper in Kuta, so had to catch a taxi back!

A lot of the art shops have the same thing. If you see something you like, get it. But, always be looking up. LoL

Mentioned in this post
Nusa Dua
Nusa Dua
Nusa Dua Peninsula, Indonesia
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Balmain, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 Nights in Seminyak

I'm wondering if you have locked in your whole 7 seven nights at Double Six 🤔

If not or wiping slate clean , I split your 7 nights

3 in Sanur

4 in Ubud

(Seminyak is crazy busy , albeit has some great eateries)

From Sanur you can get out to Nusa Lembongan/Penida

Sanur is SO much more restful.

Then up to Ubud

Central Ubud is also hectic

But you can escape out to Tegallang/ Taro

, many little hidden gems not far from Ubud

A wonderful , knowledgable, reliable driver helps

I know of one 👌

Ubud has insanely good eating places

Moksa is my very favourite, mind blowing vegetation menu

And gardens where produces comes from. Read reviews on here

Fantastic galleries

Fabrics ????? Batik , if your wife is interested

You can do batik painting classes

Bali is busy

It's mental

But crazy good

And just when you think it's all you can bare, go dive into a wonderful pool and grab an icy cold Bintang. Watch the spectacular sunset . And take in the peace , serenity and magic of mad Bali ❤️

Mentioned in this post
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Nusa Lembongan
Nusa Lembongan
Bali, Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,933 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 Nights in Seminyak

Great ideas, thanks all.

We will certainly visit Ubud for the arts market and join a photography tour driver for a day.

Our seven nights is locked in and thats fine, we are happy to stay in the one place for that amount of time.

Perhaps we won't get to the islands this time and perhaps we will just hang out at the hotel pool and relax.. not real sure yet, we will see.

Thanks again, lots of research, so much fun.

Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Reply to: 7 Nights in Seminyak
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted