We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad Experience in Bali Indonesia

Makati, Philippines
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bad Experience in Bali Indonesia

Make sure that you read blogs/ reviews before going to any destination, esp Bali, Indonesia.

It was our first time in Bali, Indonesia, so we were very excited. However, some of our Bali experiences spoiled our excitement, to wit:

1. The simcard that we bought at the Denpasar Airport was not working when we went out of the airport. We werent able to use it in the entire trip. So please , we do not encourage you to buy any simcard at the airport, it may be USELESS, based on our experience

2. I read about airport transfers from Denpasar to Seminyak, so I had a little idea on how much would it cost. They offer 300,000 IDR, but i was able to haggle at 150,000. only to realize that it may only cost about 100,000 IDR. But we arrived at the wee hours , so fine.

3. Do not use taxi service for your tours. They will bring you to Barong Dance that is so not worth your money with an entrance fee of 100,000 IDR each. Sorry but in my opinion, it was a waste of money, and time. See other reviews about Barong dance and you'll know what Im saying. Also, do not hire any taxi service as that taxi driver will be the one to decide where to go and not you. we insisted on going to places we'd like to visit, but still he would have some justification that it's too far, only to realize that its just a few miles away when we checked upon return to the hotel. I dont know if its just our driver or most of the taxi drivers in Bali. Sorry to generalize but it gave us a terrible impression of the taxi drivers in Bali. His taxi's body number is 622 and even made use I think of his personal car Toyota Rush in our scheduled trip DK928 OA. He said his name is Wishnu.

4. The only saving grace for this trip is the Hotel where we stayed, the Harris Hotel Seminyak. All the staff are warm, friendly and English-speaking. And the rate is very affordable.

I hope that this would be a helpful tip for any one of you who wishes to visit Bali anytime soon.

Hoping that my experience was just an isolated one. Enjoy though, I may be generalizing.

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Denpasar
Denpasar
Bali, Indonesia
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Harris Hotel Seminyak
Harris Hotel Seminyak
1,374 Reviews
Seminyak, Indonesia
27 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad Experience in Bali Indonesia

Can't agree more, a lot of these problems could have been avoided if you had researched more, they're extremely well documented as to how to avoid them and what to do if you encounter them.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
102 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad Experience in Bali Indonesia

So youre blaming the whole of Indonesia, but with an emphasis on Bali for a few minor inconveniences during your trip. Of which you are responsible for failing to do a basic google search before going on holiday.

Take some responsibility for your own lack of preparation and action. I have zero sympathy for you.

Best stay at home next time.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
8,744 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad Experience in Bali Indonesia

monch, so sorry for you poor experiences but -

1. There have been numerous threads recently about the new requirements for all SIM's in Indonesia to be registered. How to do it has been advised numerous times. Visttors following the required process have working SIMs.

2. That is not a bad price with a driver in the middle of the night.

3. Arranging a private driver, and paying a fair price allows you to arrange your own itinerary. We advocate this to everyone asking about sightseeing in Bali.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
45 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad Experience in Bali Indonesia

I agree with No 2 - best stay at home next time.

National Capital...
Level Contributor
72 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bad Experience in Bali Indonesia

Regarding Pt # 1 ... we are yet to begin our trip but I know exactly how to go about this, thanks to TA forums ! Research helps :)

australia
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bad Experience in Bali Indonesia

Sorry, Monch, but you didn't follow your own advice. Research would have given you all the information regarding these topics as they are discussed quite a lot on the forum.

Edited: 09 May 2018, 20:02
Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
4,967 posts
820 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bad Experience in Bali Indonesia

Sorry that you had such a bad experience in Bali.

Sims cards in Indonesia need to be registered before they work. This topic comes up very often in the forum and lots of threads exist about it.

I usually pay Rp140,000 form the airport to Seminyak, a little more than the Rp110,000 that it should be. Since it's just a couple of dollars more and you will only pay this once, I just accept it. Of course you might have read in the forum that many people go upstairs to the arrival level where Blue Bird taxis drop people off and they catch those taxis. But late at night, I woudln't worry about a couple of dollars. There are a lot of stories in the forum about overcharging by the airport taxis.

I like the Barong dance as I do the Kecak/Fire dance and the Lelong dance. This is Balinese culture. Rp100,000 is worth it in my opinion. But each to his own.

Why did you let the driver take you to all these places? Was this a guided tour? Normally people research and they tell the driver where they want to go. Never let the driver take you to places that are not on your own itinerary. That also goes for restaurants and shops too. Bali has become pretty commercial and of course many locals take advantage of tourists who are not well prepared.

I prefer to take an MPV like a Toyota Innova or a Suzuki APV pr even a Toyota Avanza. More spacious than a Rush.

The Harris Hotel is a budget hotel but quite reasonable. Never stayed at the one in Seminyak.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Harris Hotel Seminyak
Harris Hotel Seminyak
1,374 Reviews
Seminyak, Indonesia
fairhaven
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bad Experience in Bali Indonesia

Hi monch. If these are the worst things that happened to you on your trip, I'd say you were pretty lucky!!! We have stuff happen to us all the time, but put it down to the joys of travel in another country. Complaining about a $5 difference is a bit over the top.. Did you have fun though??

Cranbourne...
Level Contributor
8,280 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bad Experience in Bali Indonesia

Don't blame Bali for your lack of research.

Really only minor inconveniences that you could have avoided.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
PERTH
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bad Experience in Bali Indonesia

Sorry to hear of your failed holiday experience.

Reply to: Bad Experience in Bali Indonesia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Seminyak