We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine tram

uk
Level Contributor
232 posts
48 reviews
Wine tram

Good Afternoon,

Would it be advisable to book the tram in advance for Sunday 1st April for 2 people. Advice please for best tram for red wine & what vineyard would you suggest for a cheese or meat platter at lunchtime.

Thanks.

14 replies to this topic
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
76 reviews
1. Re: Wine tram

That is Easter Sunday and almost every wine estate will be closed so I doubt the tram will operate.

If you have the option of changing your plans I'd suggest you don't do the winelands on that day. If not possible, you'll be limited to a few ... which are not usually the top ones.

I'll do a bit of searching and get back to you with a list of those likely to be open.

uk
Level Contributor
232 posts
48 reviews
2. Re: Wine tram

Thank you, our dates are set pre-booked hotel arrive Saturday 31st leave Monday 2nd

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
76 reviews
3. Re: Wine tram

Then you'll have to drive to Stellenbosch because so far all I can find that is open is Marianne Estate and Warwick - both on the R44 and both offer great wines and lunch options. You'd have to book the lunch ahead, like right now!

In Franschhoek Grande Provence is usually open that day but their wines are not highly rated.

I'll add more info as and when I get it.

Edited: 02 February 2018, 03:16
uk
Level Contributor
232 posts
48 reviews
4. Re: Wine tram

Our only other options is to leave our hotel early on the 31st drop our luggage of in Franschhoek hotel then do the tram ?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
76 reviews
5. Re: Wine tram

Yes, that's a good plan. But book now because that whole weekend gets very busy. In South Africa Easter weekend is a long one and everyone makes a mini holiday of it.

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
342 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Wine tram

Good day

The wine tram is open on April 1st but book quickly because it will fill up soon. As for the various wine farms, they will be open too and availability for a lunchtime cheese and meat platter/picnic basket shouldn't be a problem. However, if you prefer a formal sit-down lunch, booking in advance is essential.

I hope this helps with your planning,

Ian - East Cape Tours

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
76 reviews
7. Re: Wine tram

Where will the tram be going seeing as most wineries are closed?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
76 reviews
8. Re: Wine tram

I stand corrected, have just phoned them and they are indeed open. Good news. I do hope the OP sees this.

uk
Level Contributor
232 posts
48 reviews
9. Re: Wine tram

Great, I have read the new posts. Any suggestions on the best route for red wine also for cheese & meat platter for lunch.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
76 reviews
10. Re: Wine tram

Almost all the estates at which they stop, according to their schedule, have a good selection of red wine. I'd look for the one that offers platters and choose that one.

http://winetram.co.za/tours/

Reply to: Wine tram
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted